"end" motion at end of word

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2014
      I see what seems is to me unexpected behavior:

      If the cursor is on the last character of a word and I do "ce", vim changes from the cursor to the end of the next word. I would expect it to stay on the current word.

      Is this correct behavior, and can it be modified by an option?

    • Roland Dobai
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2014
        On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:22:01PM -0700, Ron Aaron wrote:
        > I see what seems is to me unexpected behavior:
        >
        > If the cursor is on the last character of a word and I do "ce", vim changes from the cursor to the end of the next word. I would expect it to stay on the current word.
        >
        > Is this correct behavior, and can it be modified by an option?

        Hi,

        when the cursor is at the end of a word and you push "e" then it moves to
        the end of the next word. That is the correct behavior. You should
        expect the same motion when using it with "c".

        If you remap the motion then "e", "2e", ... will not work as one should
        expect.

        Roland

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2014
          I see. I guess I can do "ciw" to get the behavior I want, but that's three instead of two... oh, well.

        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2014
            On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:31:28 AM UTC+3, Ron Aaron wrote:
            > I see. I guess I can do "ciw" to get the behavior I want, but that's three instead of two... oh, well.

            Or no, that's no good; since by "ce" I want to change just the end of the word, I guess I have to to "cl"

          • Matteo Cavalleri
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2014
              > Or no, that's no good; since by "ce" I want to change just the end of the word, I guess I have to to "cl"

              if you're on the last character, an "s" will be enough

            • Ron Aaron
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2014
                On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:52:21 AM UTC+3, Matteo Cavalleri wrote:
                > > Or no, that's no good; since by "ce" I want to change just the end of the word, I guess I have to to "cl"
                >
                > if you're on the last character, an "s" will be enough

                Nice, thanks.