Plugin manager

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 29, 2013
      starting new thread.

      > I used Vundle, but I want to change the behavior completely. So I created neobundle.
      > I didn't know about VAM in that time.

      > I think to use VAM is too hard in Vundle user and the settings is difficult.
      Why does VAM cause that impression? The doc illustrates the minimal usage:

      set runtimepath+=PATH-TO-VAM
      call vam#ActivateAddons([.. list of plugin names ..], {'auto_install' : 0})

      and that's pretty minimal.

      The more complicated code just contains some additional settings and
      code to checkout VAM (bootstrapping it).

      Even more VAM ships with a bundle emulation:

      The comments look like this:

      " VAM's bundle emulation: usage:
      "
      " let manager = "VAM"
      " if manager == "vundle"
      " set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/vundle/
      " call vundle#rc()
      " else
      "
      " fun SetupVAM()
      " let c = get(g:, 'vim_addon_manager', {})
      " let g:vim_addon_manager = c
      " let c.plugin_root_dir = expand('$HOME', 1) . '/.vim/bundle'
      " let &rtp.=(empty(&rtp)?'':',').c.plugin_root_dir.'/vim-addon-manager'
      " " let g:vim_addon_manager = { your config here see "commented version" example and help
      " if !isdirectory(c.plugin_root_dir.'/vim-addon-manager/autoload')
      " execute '!git clone --depth=1 git://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager '
      " \ shellescape(c.plugin_root_dir.'/vim-addon-manager', 1)
      " endif
      " call vam#ActivateAddons([], {'auto_install' : 0})
      " endfun
      " call SetupVAM()
      " call vam#bundle_emulation#ProvideVundlesBundleCommand({'info': 1})
      "
      " endif
      "
      " Bundle ABC/FOO
      " Bundle Z

      The emulation is not complete due to lack of time.

      So another option would be emulating NeoBundle by VAM in a similar way
      ..

      > It is like snipMate vs xptemplate problem.
      VAM can emulate vundle. But xptemplate/ultisnips cannot simulate each
      other because they are very different.

      > I think "duplicate plugin managers" is OK.
      I agree - if there is a reason. Not having known about VAM is not a good
      reason to duplicate such a huge effort.

      > User should choose your own plugin manager.
      Of course. Thats' the second goal I have: Make it easier for users to
      choose the right tool if there are multiple choices which is why I
      welcome everybody to join my wiki.

      Sincerly
      Marc Weber

    • Marc Weber
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 3, 2014
        Excerpts from ZyX's message of Fri Jan 03 00:51:55 +0100 2014:
        > > I meant for the web downloader, where does that come from? I assume always from git.
        > What web downloader?
        vam.mawercer.de That basically runs VAM install on my v-server and zips
        the result.

        Marc Weber