Complete Overwrite Vim

  • Ishfaque Jahan Rafee
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 22, 2013
      I don't know if I am in the correct position to evaluate or say this, because I am using Vim for less than a year now. I would love criticism, but please try to avoid harsh comment as much as possible.

      1. Drop support for anything except Python (including vimscript)
      Reason:
      Take it from me, nobody wants to start using an editor & wants to know that, due to some compile time events, they can't use this plugin. I wanted to install Command-T plugin & came to know that, I can't install it, because I don't have +ruby in my vim. It sucks.
      Dropping Vimscript support may be the toughest job, but think of it. Do you feel in your heart that, there's anyone on earth, who honestly want to program in vimscript? Is there anything, that can be done in vimscript, but can't be done in python? By loosing vimscript, you will be losing many years of plugin development. But look at the bright side. I feel a little bit frustrated, when I see the plugin I am going to use, was last developed 3 years before(Though it works better than anything else I have used). Losing vimscript, you are bringing a revolution in development. If you are thinking no plugin will be developed, take a look at sublime text & see how fast it has caught up with emacs & vim.

      2. Improved plugin management like pip.
      Reason:
      I am a big fan of Vundle. It is simple & does what it supposed to do. It downloads all the files from a git repository & adds them to the path. But think about a complicated plugin, plugins that are to be compiled before use(e.g. YouCompleteMe), or plugins like powerline, which takes quite a bit of setup before use. These scenarios can be vastly simplified by using things like pip. Lets think for a second, if you could just "pip install powerline" or "pip install youcompleteme" & get the desired result, wouldn't it be awesome? In this way setting up a new system might be as easy as, "pip freeze" & "pip install -r requirements.txt".

      In this way, one can mark another plugin as dependency for his own one in a convenient way.

      3. Embedded shell support like screen.vim.
      Reason:
      Screen.vim is awesome. I agree to the fullest. But it uses an external program & the support it provides is not native. Now a days Vim is becoming a de-facto standard for interpreted language development in UNIX. In interpreted language development, having a shell with your editor is pretty much a requirement. Please don't let these people run to something like Sublime Text or Emacs for this. Embedded shell support would greatly help debugging of compiled language development too.

      4. (This one is GVim specific, because I don't think its possible on Terminal vim). I am a big fan of preview-mode for latex in emacs. But nothing like that exists on vim.

      5. Documentation support at point. Plugin's like YouCompleteMe provides language documentation. But it opens a window at top, rather than at the place where I am typing. The author of the plugin said its a Vim limitation. So I would urge people to take a notice here.

    • Vladimir Marek
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2014
        Hi,

        [...]

        > > 3. Embedded shell support like screen.vim.

        > ConqTerm or such come close. However it only works in insert mode, and
        > you cannot use vi keys.

        It seems that Conque is dead at the moment, so I started a fork which
        tries to improve usability. So I'm curious, what exactly does bother you
        on Conque?

        https://github.com/vlmarek/ConqueVlad

        At the moment it's not perfect as I have some other fixes locally which
        I want to push soon.

        Cheers
        --
        Vlad