New digraph

  • dailylama@...
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2013
      As per helpfile, = is meant to be cyrillic, while '=e' is euro. Surprisingly, '=y' is not yen, but 'Ye' is.

      Yesterday Rouble sign was introduced:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-russia-rouble-symbol-idUSBRE9BA0JX20131211

      So it is probably the right moment now to lay out currencies correctly in digraphs.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2013
        Daily Lama wrote:

        > As per helpfile, = is meant to be cyrillic, while '=e' is euro.
        > Surprisingly, '=y' is not yen, but 'Ye' is.
        >
        > Yesterday Rouble sign was introduced:
        > http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-russia-rouble-symbol-idUSBRE9BA0JX20131211
        >
        > So it is probably the right moment now to lay out currencies correctly
        > in digraphs.

        The article doesn't mention digraphs. I suppose we could use =R or =P.
        =R makes most sense for the word Rouble, but for Russians =P is probably
        more obvious. I suppose =P also makes more sense considering the symbol
        looks like a P with an =.

        The article doesn't mention the Unicode value, thus we can't add it yet.

        --
        The future isn't what it used to be.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2013
          On 12/12/13 20:26, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Daily Lama wrote:
          >
          >> As per helpfile, = is meant to be cyrillic, while '=e' is euro.

          = _after_ a letter means Cyrillic. It is only when no digraph is defined
          for what the user has typed (after Ctrl-K, or, with 'digraph' set [which
          I don't recommend] with <BS> between them) that Vim tries to find a
          digraph in the opposite order. For instance the digraph for Cyrillic beh
          is b= but, since (or as long as) there is no digraph defined for =b, it
          will give the same letter. OTOH =e is the Euro sign and e= is Cyrillic
          yeh, so neither of these digraphs can be used in place of the other.

          >> Surprisingly, '=y' is not yen, but 'Ye' is.

          Strangenesses of RFC1345, I suppose. Vim digraphs are those of RFC1345
          (and its amendments if any), plus some "legacy" digraphs that were in
          use in Vim versions prior to the adoption of RFC1345 digraphs. And of
          course any digraph defined by the user will override any conflicting
          previously-defined digraph, in a "latest wins" manner. Digraphs might be
          seen as akin to a special kind of mapping, so having more than one for a
          single {rhs} is no problem as long as no two exist with a single {lhs}.

          >> Yesterday Rouble sign was introduced:
          >> http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-russia-rouble-symbol-idUSBRE9BA0JX20131211
          >>
          >> So it is probably the right moment now to lay out currencies correctly
          >> in digraphs.
          >
          > The article doesn't mention digraphs. I suppose we could use =R or =P.
          > =R makes most sense for the word Rouble, but for Russians =P is probably
          > more obvious. I suppose =P also makes more sense considering the symbol
          > looks like a P with an =.
          >
          > The article doesn't mention the Unicode value, thus we can't add it yet.

          Any Unicode codepoint value (other than private-use, of course, which
          would only be a temporary stopgap measure anyway) would have to go
          through approval, then publication, by the Unicode Consortium, so I
          guess it may take quite some time — and that counts double for getting a
          font with the glyph. Let us just keep watch for it, so we'll be able to
          add the digraph as soon as a codepoint will be officially assigned.

          I checked http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html for a "combining
          equal sign overlay" but AFAICT there isn't: I can only see a "combining
          equal sign below" so no way to temporarily use <Cyrillic uppercase reh>
          <combining equals> the way we already use any Cyrillic vowel followed by
          U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT when it is desired to explicitly show the
          stress in Russian (e.g. bolshóy "big" only differs by the stress from
          bólshiy "bigger" except in the masculine nominative singular, and I can
          quite imagine circumstances where the difference would matter — in fact
          I actually met one in a chess book published in what was then the Soviet
          Union).

          A group of politicians deciding to dump a President because his morals
          are bad is like the Mafia getting together to bump off the Godfather for
          not going to church on Sunday.
          -- Russell Baker

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2014
            Am 2013-12-12 20:26, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
            > Daily Lama wrote:
            >
            >> As per helpfile, = is meant to be cyrillic, while '=e' is euro.
            >> Surprisingly, '=y' is not yen, but 'Ye' is.
            >>
            >> Yesterday Rouble sign was introduced:
            >> http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-russia-rouble-symbol-idUSBRE9BA0JX20131211
            >>
            >> So it is probably the right moment now to lay out currencies correctly
            >> in digraphs.
            >
            > The article doesn't mention digraphs. I suppose we could use =R or =P.
            > =R makes most sense for the word Rouble, but for Russians =P is
            > probably
            > more obvious. I suppose =P also makes more sense considering the
            > symbol
            > looks like a P with an =.
            >
            > The article doesn't mention the Unicode value, thus we can't add it
            > yet.

            With the release of the Unicode version 7.0 yesterday, the rouble sign
            has been assigned
            U+20BD. It probably makes sense to update all the generated unicode data
            in the Vim source however.

            Best,
            Christian

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2014
              Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > With the release of the Unicode version 7.0 yesterday, the
              > rouble sign has been assigned U+20BD. It probably makes sense
              > to update all the generated unicode data in the Vim source
              > however.

              Can I hijack this to ask about U+2022 which is a nice bullet.

              One way to insert that in Vim is to execute the following
              (using :put="\u2022" fails because the quote is a comment):

              :let s = "\u2022"
              :put =s

              Why is U+2022 not available as a digraph? I guess the answer is
              that it is not in RFC1345, but can we add it anyway? And rouble?

              The only bullets mentioned at ":help digraph-table" are U+2219
              (^K Sb) and U+25D8 (^K Sn).

              John

            • Jakson Alves de Aquino
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 2014
                On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:21 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                [...]
                > Can I hijack this to ask about U+2022 which is a nice bullet.
                >
                > One way to insert that in Vim is to execute the following
                > (using :put="\u2022" fails because the quote is a comment):
                >
                > :let s = "\u2022"
                > :put =s

                In Insert mode, you can do the following to insert the bullet: <C-v>u2022