Issue 173 in vim: Error R6034 when starting VIM loading Python dynamically under Windows 7

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 173 by ma...@...: Error R6034 when starting VIM loading
      Python dynamically under Windows 7

      Under Windows 7 (64 Bit) my VIM builds produce an runtime error R6034
      stating that an application attempts to use the C Runtime library in an
      incorrect manner. After two such message boxes VIM starts nevertheless but
      without Python support.

      So far I understand the reports and solutions in the net about that error
      the root cause is that VIM loads the Python DLL (python27.dll in my case)
      _dynamically_ and Python loads the MSVC runtime DLL without having a
      correct manifest.

      reference:
      http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9fbc9292-11b8-4ee4-94a4-5223546df280/r6034-attempt-to-load-c-runtime-library-without-using-manifest?forum=vcgeneral

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2013
        Comment #1 on issue 173 by ma...@...: Error R6034 when starting
        VIM loading Python dynamically under Windows 7

        here for reference the original error message box...

        Attachments:
        VIM_Error.png 22.4 KB

        issue notifications to this address.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2013
          On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:19:31 AM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

          > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=173
          >

          > Under Windows 7 (64 Bit) my VIM builds produce an runtime error R6034
          >
          > stating that an application attempts to use the C Runtime library in an
          >
          > incorrect manner. After two such message boxes VIM starts nevertheless but
          >
          > without Python support.
          >

          > So far I understand the reports and solutions in the net about that error
          >
          > the root cause is that VIM loads the Python DLL (python27.dll in my case)
          >
          > _dynamically_ and Python loads the MSVC runtime DLL without having a
          >
          > correct manifest.

          I don't see this in my 32-bit Vim build with Python 2.7.2 on 64-bit Windows 7. I compiled with Visual Studio 2010. My Vim version is 7.4.052 with HUGE features.

          What version of Vim did you build? What version of Python are you using? What compiler did you use?

          I assume you got your Python from an official installer...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5 5:47 PM
            Comment #2 on issue 173 by zaaghad@...: Error R6034 when starting VIM

            There's a workaround for this problem posted @ SO
            http://stackoverflow.com/a/10257098/851055

            issue notifications to this address.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6 12:29 AM
              Comment #3 on issue 173 by ma...@...: Error R6034 when starting
              VIM loading Python dynamically under Windows 7

              Yes, thanks a lot. It is clear to me that this problem cannot be fixed from
              VIM point of view. It is annoying that I have to use this mt.exe utility on
              every system where I use VIM because on every system may be installed
              another version of the MSVC runtime DLLs.

              I have a 3rd party AciveX application which loads the Python DLL and uses a
              different set of MSVC runtime DLLs depending from if it is called from
              Internet Explorer or Firefox. For that application there is no solution at
              all.

              Maybe I should talk to the Python developers if they could provide a Python
              version with MSVC runtime statically linked into the Python DLL.

              issue notifications to this address.