Re: Making vim not spuriously undo lots of changes

  • PaulLeoNerd Evans
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
      On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:24:15 +0100
      Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@...> wrote:

      > However, I believe we can all agree this is unsustainable, as I don't
      > want to have to store a map and an imap command 7 times for each of
      > the ~60-odd Unicode keys I could type.
      >
      > Instead does anyone have a better idea here?

      Do I take from the relative silence in this thread then that nobody
      actually has a better idea after all?

      I may be forced to consider fixing the source, then.

      --
      Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

      leonerd@...
      ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
      http://www.leonerd.org.uk/
    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
        On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:30:49 AM UTC-5, Paul Evans wrote:
        > On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:24:15 +0100
        >
        > Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@...> wrote:
        >

        > > However, I believe we can all agree this is unsustainable, as I don't
        >
        > > want to have to store a map and an imap command 7 times for each of
        >
        > > the ~60-odd Unicode keys I could type.
        >

        > > Instead does anyone have a better idea here?
        >

        > Do I take from the relative silence in this thread then that nobody
        >
        > actually has a better idea after all?
        >

        > I may be forced to consider fixing the source, then.

        Are you able to do a loop to build up such mappings as strings to :execute? That would be nicer than individually doing 7*60 mappings.

      • PaulLeoNerd Evans
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
          On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
          Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

          > Are you able to do a loop to build up such mappings as strings
          > to :execute? That would be nicer than individually doing 7*60
          > mappings.

          Not really. I mean, that's what I do right now and it's horrible.

          In practice it might not be quite so bad but that's still a huge number
          of mappings.

          Plus, these things aren't really static strings; they are encodings.
          All these things should mean the same thing

          CSI 65 ; 1 u
          CSI 000065; 00001 u
          CSI 00065;0001;000000;00000235 u
          etc...

          They're a protocol encoding information about a keypress; not simple
          static strings. I'd much prefer that vim's input system could
          -understand- these as being real CSI sequences and pull them apart
          properly, than just store a huge static string database.