Re: Issue 28 in vim: out of the box, gVim 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7

  • vim@...
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 19, 2013
      Comment #8 on issue 28 by ab...@...: out of the box, gVim 7.3.46 for
      Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7

      Starting Vim from the start menu (which admittedly I've never done in
      15+years using it until just now) sets the current working directory to
      C:\Windows\system32, which is not writeable to normal users, thus giving
      the swap file error. It's not a common usage scenario, but the fix is
      pretty simple.

      The root issue is that neither C:\TMP and C:\Temp exist by default on
      Windows and haven't for a long time, so the swap file fails in any folder
      that the user can't write to. The default value of directory on Win32
      should probably be ".,$TMP,$TEMP" (or maybe ".,C:\TMP,C:\Temp,$TMP,$TEMP"
      for maximum backwards compatibility with older versions of Windows. I'm not
      sure when exactly the change of temp dirs happened).

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6, 2015
        Comment #19 on issue 28 by dave.cza...@...: out of the box, gVim
        7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7
        https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=28

        The easiest fix for me was to create C:\TMP. That's it.

        issue notifications to this address.