Re: [patch] sets PEP8 indenting suggestions as default in python files

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 17, 2013
      On Tue, September 17, 2013 23:36, Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:
      > Oh God sorry I forgot to attach the patch, here it is.

      You probably want :setlocal instead of :set in the filetype plugin.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Lorenzo Bercelli
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013

        Right, right, silly me. Here it is dutifully updated

        Lorenzo Bercelli

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
          Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:

          > This patch sets tabs as equal to 4 spaces in python files, as
          > strongly
          > suggested by the PEP8
          > (
          > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#indentation
          > )
          > .

          > his are probably some of the most often found options in .vimrc files,
          > it's also the first thing suggested in all those 'create a python
          > development environment with vim' tutorials, I think it would be easier to
          > just make it default for python files
          > .

          Your text suggests to set tabstop to 4, but the patch makes clear that
          you only set softtabstop and shiftwidth to 4. That is OK. Tabstop
          should be at its default of 8 to avoid trouble.

          226. You sit down at the computer right after dinner and your spouse
          says "See you in the morning."

        • Lorenzo Bercelli
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
            Yes, I didn't explicitly set tabstop=8 because it's already default, should I ?

               Lorenzo

            On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:

            > This patch sets tabs as equal to 4 spaces in python files, as
            > strongly
            > suggested by the PEP8
            >  (
            > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#indentation
            > )
            > .

            > his are probably some of the most often found options in .vimrc files,
            > it's also the first thing suggested in all those 'create a python
            > development environment with vim' tutorials, I think it would be easier to
            > just make it default for python files
            > .

            Your text suggests to set tabstop to 4, but the patch makes clear that
            you only set softtabstop and shiftwidth to 4.  That is OK.  Tabstop
            should be at its default of 8 to avoid trouble.

            226. You sit down at the computer right after dinner and your spouse
                 says "See you in the morning."

             /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
            ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
            \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
             \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

          • Marius Gedminas
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013
              On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:12:17PM +0000, Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:
              > Yes, I didn't explicitly set tabstop=8 because it's already default, should
              > I ?

              That may be a good idea. Python interprets ASCII TAB as being 8 spaces
              wide, for the purposes of indentation:
              http://docs.python.org/2/reference/lexical_analysis.html#indentation

              Marius Gedminas
              --
              The difference between Microsoft and 'Jurassic Park':
              In one, a mad businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013

                On Sep 20, 2013 2:22 PM, "Marius Gedminas" <marius@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:12:17PM +0000, Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:
                > > Yes, I didn't explicitly set tabstop=8 because it's already default, should
                > > I ?
                >
                > That may be a good idea.  Python interprets ASCII TAB as being 8 spaces
                > wide, for the purposes of indentation:
                > http://docs.python.org/2/reference/lexical_analysis.html#indentation

                I do not think so. Using mixed tabs/spaces is highly discouraged even by vim syntax highlighting; and it is even a syntax error in python 3. If tabs are not mixed with spaces it does not matter how wide they are.

                > Marius Gedminas
                > --
                > The difference between Microsoft and 'Jurassic Park':
                > In one, a mad businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be
                > extinct.
                > The other is a film.

              • Lorenzo Bercelli
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 24, 2013
                  The maintainer hasn't answered this email either. I'm sending you the patch again, assuming you approved it the last time.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 25, 2013
                    Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:

                    > The maintainer hasn't answered this email either. I'm sending you the
                    > patch again, assuming you approved it the last time.

                    OK. Let's make it one line:

                    " As suggested by PEP8.
                    setlocal expandtab shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4 tabstop=8

                    I'll also include the patch for keywordprg.

                    --
                    This sentence is not sure that it exists, but if it does, it will
                    certainly consider the possibility that other sentences exist.

                  • Lorenzo Bercelli
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 25, 2013
                      Thanks. Made it one line.

                         Lorenzo