Re: [BUG] re=1 and re=2 differ with branches

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
      Axel Bender wrote:

      > The following search command with branches works differently depending
      > on which RE engine is chosen:
      >
      > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
      >
      > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
      > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
      >
      > Test case included.

      What version of Vim, which patches did you include?

      224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
      of your kids... and your pets.

    • Zulox4
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
        Hello! I test using the files attached in Vim 7.4.27 searching in the buffer content:
        klocks (1.0, 20130715) Command Line Lock Keys

        1. For the command:
        :set hlsearch regexpengine=1
        /^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!

        the first word is selected.

        2. For the command
        :set hlsearch regexpengine=2
        /^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!

        the first letter of the line is selected.

        Best regards !

        On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:44:56 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Axel Bender wrote:
        >

        > > The following search command with branches works differently depending
        >
        > > on which RE engine is chosen:
        >

        > > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
        >

        > > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
        >
        > > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
        >

        > > Test case included.
        >

        > What version of Vim, which patches did you include?
        >

        > --

        > 224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
        >
        > of your kids... and your pets.
        >

        > /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\

      • Axel Bender
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
          > What version of Vim, which patches did you include?

          Sorry, I forgot to mention that: 7.4-27 on Windows 7 (64 bit) compiled with gcc 64 bit.

        • Axel Bender
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
            Addendum: There's an error in "run"; it should read '...+"so re1.so" ...' (rsp. re2.so) in there. Sorry.

          • Axel Bender
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
              Uploaded new case files...

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                On Wed, September 18, 2013 09:27, Axel Bender wrote:
                > Uploaded new case files...

                Would you mind using a different archive format?

                regards,
                Christian

              • Axel Bender
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                  @Christian,

                  no I wouldn't ;-)

                  Reuploaded as ZIP.

                • Vlad Irnov
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                    On 9/17/13, Axel Bender <axel.bender@...> wrote:
                    > The following search command with branches works differently depending on
                    > which RE engine is chosen:
                    >
                    > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
                    >
                    > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
                    > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
                    >
                    > Test case included.

                    I think the following shows what happens (gvim7.4 on Windows).
                    It's strange combination of \ze, \& and \@<! that makes finding the
                    end of match ambiguous.

                    :echo "'". matchstr('ABCD ', '\%#=1^ABCD\ze \&E\@<!') ."'"
                    :echo "'". matchstr('ABCD ', '\%#=2^ABCD\ze \&E\@<!') ."'"