Re: Trailing whitespace left at end of comment lines that wrap in the PHP filetype

  • Duncan de Wet
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013

      On 17 Sep 2013 21:21, "Adnan Zafar" <adnanjzafar@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Duncan de Wet <duncandewet@...> wrote:
      > > On Monday, 16 September 2013 21:47:32 UTC+12, ZyX  wrote:
      > >
      > > > This is controlled by formatoptions settings, see :h fo-table. Set 'list' with 'listchars' containing 'trail:-' to make them easy to spot.
      > >
      > > I already have those options set, hence why I noticed the bug in the first place. I cannot find any options in :h fo-table relating to leaving whitespace at the end of lines when wrapping occurs; reasonably so as there is no reason you would want to anyway.
      >
      > Specifically the w flag causes this behavior. It makes Vim leave
      > trailing whitespace alone, which allows the user to have some
      > flexibility when it comes to formatting and Vim's rigid notions of
      > what a paragraph is.
      >
      > > > Note that it is not a vim issue. If you take this as a problem it is problem in your configuration.
      > >
      > > It seems like a vim issue to me as it occurs in the PHP filetype but not others, under identical configurations.
      >
      > Editing a PHP file and checking from where and to what formatoptions
      > is set with `:verbose set fo?`, I see that w is indeed included, and
      > it's set from indent/php.vim. So it would appear that you should
      > contact the maintainer of that file.
      >

      > --Adnan Zafar

      Is this not the right place to contact the maintainer of that file?

      | Duncan de Wet

    • Duncan de Wet
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
        On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:56:55AM +1200, Duncan de Wet wrote:
        > On 17 Sep 2013 21:21, "Adnan Zafar" <adnanjzafar@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Duncan de Wet <duncandewet@...>
        > wrote:

        > 'list' with 'listchars' containing 'trail:-' to make them easy to spot.
        > > >
        > > > I already have those options set, hence why I noticed the bug in the
        > first place. I cannot find any options in :h fo-table relating to leaving
        > whitespace at the end of lines when wrapping occurs; reasonably so as there
        > is no reason you would want to anyway.
        > >
        > > Specifically the w flag causes this behavior. It makes Vim leave
        > > trailing whitespace alone, which allows the user to have some
        > > flexibility when it comes to formatting and Vim's rigid notions of
        > > what a paragraph is.

        > problem in your configuration.
        > > >
        > > > It seems like a vim issue to me as it occurs in the PHP filetype but
        > not others, under identical configurations.
        > >
        > > Editing a PHP file and checking from where and to what formatoptions
        > > is set with `:verbose set fo?`, I see that w is indeed included, and
        > > it's set from indent/php.vim. So it would appear that you should
        > > contact the maintainer of that file.
        > >

        > > --Adnan Zafar
        >
        > Is this not the right place to contact the maintainer of that file?
        >
        > | Duncan de Wet

        Never mind, I have found the Github page for that filetype so have done a pull
        request there.

        <https://github.com/2072/PHP-Indenting-for-VIm/pull/20>

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013

          On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Duncan de Wet <duncandewet@...> wrote:

          > Is this not the right place to contact the maintainer of that file?
          >
          > | Duncan de Wet

          Never mind, I have found the Github page for that filetype so have done a pull
          request there.

          Typically the Vim files have contact information at the top of them.
          That is the way the maintainer should be contacted, not everyone subscribes to vim_use or vim_dev.

          I have seen my plugins on github and I have no idea how they get there.
          So, if you did a "pull request" on github for any of my plugins, that would certainly not make it to me.

          HTH,
          David

        • Peter Aronoff
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
            On Wed Sep 09/18/13 at 9:23, David Fishburn wrote:
            > Typically the Vim files have contact information at the top of them.
            > That is the way the maintainer should be contacted, not everyone
            > subscribes to vim_use or vim_dev.

            I have a question about process.

            I wrote this list with a patch for Vim's shell indentation and got no
            response. I then realized that it was better to contact the maintainer, and
            I did so. I haven't heard anything there either.

            I understand that this is not especially high-priority (and the patch may
            be rejected for lots of reasons), but is there any procedure for what to do
            when a maintainer doesn't respond at all?

            Thanks, Peter

          • Nikolay Pavlov
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013

              There is a mirror for all scripts on github. It is populated automatically from www.vim.org contents.

              > HTH,
              > David
              >
              > --
              > --
              >
              > ---

            • Duncan de Wet
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
                On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:23:29AM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:
                > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Duncan de Wet <duncandewet@...>wrote:

                > > > Is this not the right place to contact the maintainer of that file?

                > > Never mind, I have found the Github page for that filetype so have done a
                > > pull
                > > request there.
                > >

                > Typically the Vim files have contact information at the top of them.
                > That is the way the maintainer should be contacted, not everyone subscribes
                > to vim_use or vim_dev.
                >
                > I have seen my plugins on github and I have no idea how they get there.
                > So, if you did a "pull request" on github for any of my plugins, that would
                > certainly not make it to me.

                (Sorry for the previous empty email, I'm still trying to figure out mutt.

                In this case the github URL I did find from the file, so I know it was the file
                maintainer's repository.

                He did accept my pull request so the fix to this bug will get to vim soon I
                guess.