[BUG] re=1 and re=2 differ with branches

  • Axel Bender
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
      The following search command with branches works differently depending on which RE engine is chosen:

      ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!

      With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
      With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.

      Test case included.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
        Axel Bender wrote:

        > The following search command with branches works differently depending
        > on which RE engine is chosen:
        >
        > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
        >
        > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
        > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
        >
        > Test case included.

        What version of Vim, which patches did you include?

        224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
        of your kids... and your pets.

      • Zulox4
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
          Hello! I test using the files attached in Vim 7.4.27 searching in the buffer content:
          klocks (1.0, 20130715) Command Line Lock Keys

          1. For the command:
          :set hlsearch regexpengine=1
          /^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!

          the first word is selected.

          2. For the command
          :set hlsearch regexpengine=2
          /^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!

          the first letter of the line is selected.

          Best regards !

          On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:44:56 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Axel Bender wrote:
          >

          > > The following search command with branches works differently depending
          >
          > > on which RE engine is chosen:
          >

          > > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
          >

          > > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
          >
          > > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
          >

          > > Test case included.
          >

          > What version of Vim, which patches did you include?
          >

          > --

          > 224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
          >
          > of your kids... and your pets.
          >

          > /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\

        • Axel Bender
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
            > What version of Vim, which patches did you include?

            Sorry, I forgot to mention that: 7.4-27 on Windows 7 (64 bit) compiled with gcc 64 bit.

          • Axel Bender
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
              Addendum: There's an error in "run"; it should read '...+"so re1.so" ...' (rsp. re2.so) in there. Sorry.

            • Axel Bender
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                Uploaded new case files...

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                  On Wed, September 18, 2013 09:27, Axel Bender wrote:
                  > Uploaded new case files...

                  Would you mind using a different archive format?

                  regards,
                  Christian

                • Axel Bender
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                    @Christian,

                    no I wouldn't ;-)

                    Reuploaded as ZIP.

                  • Vlad Irnov
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                      On 9/17/13, Axel Bender <axel.bender@...> wrote:
                      > The following search command with branches works differently depending on
                      > which RE engine is chosen:
                      >
                      > ^\C[a-z]\+\ze \&\(\.exe\)\@<!
                      >
                      > With re=1 the whole first word is selected.
                      > With re=2 only the first letter of the first word is selected.
                      >
                      > Test case included.

                      I think the following shows what happens (gvim7.4 on Windows).
                      It's strange combination of \ze, \& and \@<! that makes finding the
                      end of match ambiguous.

                      :echo "'". matchstr('ABCD ', '\%#=1^ABCD\ze \&E\@<!') ."'"
                      :echo "'". matchstr('ABCD ', '\%#=2^ABCD\ze \&E\@<!') ."'"