Re: incorrect "still running" swap file message

  • Andrew McNabb
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2013
      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01:45PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Unfortunately Linux recycles process IDs. It does not happen very often
      > that Vim makes a mistake with that.

      I don't hit it every day, but it's not uncommon after a reboot to hit
      this problem. Any OS (not just Linux) will reuse process IDs after
      rebooting, which is a more common situation than wrapping of PIDs.

      > The way you discovered that the
      > process is not Vim is not a generic solution. On top of that, it could
      > be Vim but another process than the one that created the swap file.

      That's true--there's no cross-platform way to detect whether there is
      another Vim process running. It's particularly impossible on networked
      filesystems. Since the heuristic is often wrong, I would personally
      prefer that Vim not try to detect whether another Vim process is
      running.

      > Generally, I don't think it's worth solving. Better avoid that Vim dies
      > and leave swap files behind.

      I find the current behavior moderately annoying, but I won't press the
      issue. Thanks for your time and consideration.

      --
      Andrew McNabb
      http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/