[patch] sets pydoc as keywordprg in python files

  • Lorenzo Bercelli
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2013
      This 3 lines patch sets, if present on the system, pydoc (
      http://docs.python.org/2/library/pydoc.html ) as the keywordprg in
      python source files, instead of the default 'man'.

      Lorenzo Bercelli

    • James McCoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2013
        On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 04:51:48PM +0000, Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:
        > This 3 lines patch sets, if present on the system, pydoc (
        > http://docs.python.org/2/library/pydoc.html ) as the keywordprg in
        > python source files, instead of the default 'man'.

        For what it's worth, Debian has had a similar patch (just setting
        keywordprg without the executable check) applied since 2006. We last
        forwarded it to the script maintainer in 2008 and never got a response.

        Cheers,
        --
        James
        GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013
          Lorenzo Bercelli wrote:

          > This 3 lines patch sets, if present on the system, pydoc (
          > http://docs.python.org/2/library/pydoc.html ) as the keywordprg in
          > python source files, instead of the default 'man'.

          Looks useful. Did you send this to the maintainer?

          Finding pydoc is not quick. Vim has to look through $PATH, which means
          file system operations. It would be useful to cache the result, thus
          only do this the first time a Python file is opened.

          215. Your mouse-clicking forearm rivals Popeye's.