Re: Suggestion: allow 'z=' when spell-checking isn't on

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2013
      On 2013-09-08, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > On Sa, 07 Sep 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

      > > I just noticed an odd behavior of the spell feature with your patch
      > > included. ...

      > That is actually a strange behaviour of normal Vim and has nothing to do
      > with my patch.
      > Here is a patch, that prevents the spurious E756 error in the case of 'zg/zb'
      > And this patch, explicitly tells the user, what word has been
      > removed/added to the spellfile:

      Your message arrived with its tabs expanded to spaces, but once I
      fixed that, I was able to apply both patches. Thanks.

      Regards,
      Gary

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > On Sa, 07 Sep 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

        > > > I'm glad to have the updated patch. Thank you. It is working fine
        > > > so far. I'll let you know if that changes.
        > >
        > > I just noticed an odd behavior of the spell feature with your patch
        > > included. I did not have 'spell' enabled but checked the spelling
        > > of a word with z=. The word was not in the list, so I found the
        > > correct spelling on the web, changed the word in my text, and
        > > attempted to add it to my spelling list with zg. Two messages
        > > appeared:
        > >
        > > E756: Spell checking is not enabled
        > > Word added to ~/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add
        > >
        > > Since the word was added successfully, it seems that the error
        > > message should not have appeared.
        >
        > That is actually a strange behaviour of normal Vim and has nothing to do
        > with my patch.
        >
        > Bram,
        > problem is, nv_zet calls spell_move_to() function, which errors out, if
        > spell checking is not enabled. But if spell checking is not enabled, Vim
        > uses find_ident_under_cursor() to get the identifier under the cursor and
        > adds this nevertheless to the spellfile.
        >
        > I think, this can cause vim to add/remove different words to the
        > spellfile, depending on the 'spell' setting, but I am not sure, how to
        > test (the second patch at least makes Vim mention, which word has been
        > added/removed).

        Isn't the problem that "zw" is intended to use the word under the
        cursor, but it uses the next word marked as misspelled? I haven't
        actually tried it...

        > Here is a patch, that prevents the spurious E756 error in the case of 'zg/zb'

        Thanks.

        --
        Some of the well known MS-Windows errors:
        EHUH Unexpected error