Re: Making vim not spuriously undo lots of changes

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2013
      On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:29:21 AM UTC+12, Paul Evans wrote:
      > TERM=xterm, as it should be for this terminal. It's an xterm :)

      My xterm "XTerm(278)" doesn't do that; ctrl-shift-p gives the same as ctrl-p.

      Regards, John Little

    • PaulLeoNerd Evans
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
        On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 01:37:47 -0700 (PDT)
        John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:

        > My xterm "XTerm(278)" doesn't do that; ctrl-shift-p gives the same as
        > ctrl-p.

        See previous comment about it having to be configured to do that, and
        in any case that xterm itself doesn't do it right anyway - it's too
        eager to use CSI u encoding and then even CSI u encodes plain Ctrl-P.

        --
        Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

        leonerd@...
        ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
        http://www.leonerd.org.uk/
      • PaulLeoNerd Evans
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
          On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:24:15 +0100
          Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@...> wrote:

          > However, I believe we can all agree this is unsustainable, as I don't
          > want to have to store a map and an imap command 7 times for each of
          > the ~60-odd Unicode keys I could type.
          >
          > Instead does anyone have a better idea here?

          Do I take from the relative silence in this thread then that nobody
          actually has a better idea after all?

          I may be forced to consider fixing the source, then.

          --
          Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

          leonerd@...
          ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
          http://www.leonerd.org.uk/
        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
            On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:30:49 AM UTC-5, Paul Evans wrote:
            > On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:24:15 +0100
            >
            > Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@...> wrote:
            >

            > > However, I believe we can all agree this is unsustainable, as I don't
            >
            > > want to have to store a map and an imap command 7 times for each of
            >
            > > the ~60-odd Unicode keys I could type.
            >

            > > Instead does anyone have a better idea here?
            >

            > Do I take from the relative silence in this thread then that nobody
            >
            > actually has a better idea after all?
            >

            > I may be forced to consider fixing the source, then.

            Are you able to do a loop to build up such mappings as strings to :execute? That would be nicer than individually doing 7*60 mappings.

          • PaulLeoNerd Evans
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
              On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
              Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

              > Are you able to do a loop to build up such mappings as strings
              > to :execute? That would be nicer than individually doing 7*60
              > mappings.

              Not really. I mean, that's what I do right now and it's horrible.

              In practice it might not be quite so bad but that's still a huge number
              of mappings.

              Plus, these things aren't really static strings; they are encodings.
              All these things should mean the same thing

              CSI 65 ; 1 u
              CSI 000065; 00001 u
              CSI 00065;0001;000000;00000235 u
              etc...

              They're a protocol encoding information about a keypress; not simple
              static strings. I'd much prefer that vim's input system could
              -understand- these as being real CSI sequences and pull them apart
              properly, than just store a huge static string database.