Some changes to syntax/vhdl.vim

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
      Dear all,

      I tried emailing the maintainer (Olivier.Sirol <at> lip6.fr) for the attached file, but my email got bounced.

      Here's an excerpt of the email I sent to him:
      I made some changes to vhdl.vim, to support the latest VHDL-2008. Hope you will consider including these changes in the next release of Vim. :)

      Some changes (as far as I can remember):
      - Added VHDL-2008 block commenting.
      - Added new keywords for VHDL-2008 (this standard supports embedding PSL, so there are PSL keywords too).
      - Commented out non-standard keywords (e.g. qsim_state_vector, etc.).
      - Commented out non-standard literals (e.g. S0S S1S SXS, etc.).
      - Changed the HiLinks to show literals as Numbers instead of String (e.g. Boolean, and VHDL vectors are shown as Numbers instead of String).

      For non-standard features that are vendor-specific, I've commented them out, because I believe we should follow the standardised features instead of adding non-standard material. :)
      Users can still add back any vendor-specific keywords etc. that they wish to include.

      I'm not sure if I included everything, so you can of course do a "diff" to see all the (other) changes I made, if any. I may have missed a few from this list.

      Daniel

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2013
        Daniel Kho wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I tried emailing the maintainer (Olivier.Sirol <at> lip6.fr) for the attached file, but my email got bounced.
        >
        > Here's an excerpt of the email I sent to him:
        > I made some changes to vhdl.vim, to support the latest VHDL-2008. Hope you will consider including these changes in the next release of Vim. :)
        >
        > Some changes (as far as I can remember):
        > - Added VHDL-2008 block commenting.
        > - Added new keywords for VHDL-2008 (this standard supports embedding PSL, so there are PSL keywords too).
        > - Commented out non-standard keywords (e.g. qsim_state_vector, etc.).
        > - Commented out non-standard literals (e.g. S0S S1S SXS, etc.).
        > - Changed the HiLinks to show literals as Numbers instead of String (e.g. Boolean, and VHDL vectors are shown as Numbers instead of String).
        >
        > For non-standard features that are vendor-specific, I've commented them out, because I believe we should follow the standardised features instead of adding non-standard material. :)
        > Users can still add back any vendor-specific keywords etc. that they wish to include.
        >
        > I'm not sure if I included everything, so you can of course do a "diff" to see all the (other) changes I made, if any. I may have missed a few from this list.

        I have not heard from Olivier Sirol for more than ten years.
        Would you like to take over maintenance?
        If so, please adjust the header. Move Olivier to "previous maintainer".

        --
        A bad peace is better than a good war. - Yiddish Proverb

      • Daniel Kho
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2013
          On Sunday, 8 September 2013 21:41:06 UTC+8, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Daniel Kho wrote:
          >

          > > Dear all,
          >

          > > I tried emailing the maintainer (Olivier.Sirol <at> lip6.fr) for the attached file, but my email got bounced.
          >

          > > Here's an excerpt of the email I sent to him:
          >
          > > ###########################################################
          >
          > > I made some changes to vhdl.vim, to support the latest VHDL-2008. Hope you will consider including these changes in the next release of Vim. :)
          >

          > > Some changes (as far as I can remember):
          >
          > > - Added VHDL-2008 block commenting.
          >
          > > - Added new keywords for VHDL-2008 (this standard supports embedding PSL, so there are PSL keywords too).
          >
          > > - Commented out non-standard keywords (e.g. qsim_state_vector, etc.).
          >
          > > - Commented out non-standard literals (e.g. S0S S1S SXS, etc.).
          >
          > > - Changed the HiLinks to show literals as Numbers instead of String (e.g. Boolean, and VHDL vectors are shown as Numbers instead of String).
          >

          > > For non-standard features that are vendor-specific, I've commented them out, because I believe we should follow the standardised features instead of adding non-standard material. :)
          >
          > > Users can still add back any vendor-specific keywords etc. that they wish to include.
          >

          > > I'm not sure if I included everything, so you can of course do a "diff" to see all the (other) changes I made, if any. I may have missed a few from this list.
          >

          > I have not heard from Olivier Sirol for more than ten years.
          >
          > Would you like to take over maintenance?
          >
          > If so, please adjust the header. Move Olivier to "previous maintainer".
          >

          > --
          >
          > A bad peace is better than a good war. - Yiddish Proverb

          Hi Bram,
          Sure, I'd be happy to take over maintenance. I've attached the file with the requested changes.

          regards, daniel

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2013
            Daniel Kho wrote:

            > > I have not heard from Olivier Sirol for more than ten years.
            > > Would you like to take over maintenance?
            > > If so, please adjust the header. Move Olivier to "previous maintainer".
            >
            > Hi Bram,
            > Sure, I'd be happy to take over maintenance. I've attached the file
            > with the requested changes.

            Thanks!

            --
            Some of the well known MS-Windows errors:
            ESLEEP Operator fell asleep

          • Daniel Kho
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 23, 2013
              Hi Bram,
              How do I be a maintainer / committer to this project? Is there a repo which I can commit the changes to, or do I just wait for you (or someone) to make all the commits?

              regards, daniel

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2015
                Hi Bram,
                I've made some updates to vhdl.vim. Below is a list of the changes:
                - Added new VHDL-2008 types
                - Removed non-standard block attributes
                - Removed duplicate entries under "type attributes"
                - Added new VHDL-2008 attributes
                - Overhaul of VHDL operators. Added list of valid operators, and added linting to check for illegal operators.
                - Added FIXME
                - Added industry standard (commonly used, but not part of IEEE standard) preprocessor directives

                Best regards,
                Daniel

                On 25 November 2013 at 08:55, Daniel Kho <daniel.kho@...> wrote:
                Hi Bram,
                Thanks. So, in future, I'll just submit all changes to you. :)

                regards, daniel

                On 25 November 2013 06:20, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                Daniel -

                > Hi Bram,
                > Just would like to check with you, has this patch been applied yet?
                > Do I do the commit, or I just send over the changes to you and you'll
                > commit those changes?

                It has been included, but I only submit changes to runtime files once in
                a while (running tests takes a bit of time).

                - Bram

                --
                It's totally unfair to suggest - as many have - that engineers are socially
                inept.  Engineers simply have different objectives when it comes to social

                 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
                ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
                 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2015
                  Daniel Kho wrote:

                  > Hi Bram,
                  > I've made some updates to vhdl.vim. Below is a list of the changes:
                  > - Added new VHDL-2008 types
                  > - Removed non-standard block attributes
                  > - Removed duplicate entries under "type attributes"
                  > - Added new VHDL-2008 attributes
                  > - Overhaul of VHDL operators. Added list of valid operators, and added
                  > linting to check for illegal operators.
                  > - Added FIXME
                  > - Added industry standard (commonly used, but not part of IEEE standard)
                  > preprocessor directives

                  Thanks. I'll include the diff and update the date in the header.

                  Can we remove that $Id line? Looks like it's just a leftover from and
                  old version control system.

                  32. You don't know what sex three of your closest friends are, because they
                  have neutral nicknames and you never bothered to ask.
                  normal GA<CR><Esc>

                • Daniel Kho
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2015
                    Hi Bram,
                    Sure, you can remove the $ld line. Interestingly, it didn't show up on my system anyway.

                    Best regards,
                    Daniel

                    On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 at 19:49 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                    Daniel Kho wrote:

                    > Hi Bram,
                    > I've made some updates to vhdl.vim. Below is a list of the changes:
                    > - Added new VHDL-2008 types
                    > - Removed non-standard block attributes
                    > - Removed duplicate entries under "type attributes"
                    > - Added new VHDL-2008 attributes
                    > - Overhaul of VHDL operators. Added list of valid operators, and added
                    > linting to check for illegal operators.
                    > - Added FIXME
                    > - Added industry standard (commonly used, but not part of IEEE standard)
                    > preprocessor directives

                    Thanks.  I'll include the diff and update the date in the header.

                    Can we remove that $Id line?  Looks like it's just a leftover from and
                    old version control system.

                    32. You don't know what sex three of your closest friends are, because they
                        have neutral nicknames and you never bothered to ask.
                      normal GA<CR><Esc>

                     /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
                    ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                    \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
                     \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

                    Daniel
                    - Sent from my Samsung mobile -

                  • Daniel Kho
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2015
                      Probably my mail client added it while attaching the file. I'm not sure.

                      Best regards,
                      Daniel

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 13, 2015
                        Sorry, I understand what you mean now. Previously I've mistaken you meant $Ld instead of $id. Yes, feel free to remove that line. I apologise for the multiple posts.

                        Best regards,
                        Daniel