Re: :e foo:bar makes broken swap file foo:.bar.swp. and doesn't removed.

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
      On 05/09/13 02:40, mattn wrote:
      > Hi.
      >
      > :e foo:bar
      > :set swapfile
      > :swapname
      > foo:.bar.swp
      >
      > This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp
      >
      > https://gist.github.com/6444548

      On which OS are you running? On Unix and Mac OS X the path separator is
      a forward slash, on Windows it is a backslash (except a colon can be use
      after a single letter at the start). The above data makes it seem that
      on your system the colon is a path separator which can be used after a
      prefix of more than one letter. What system is that? Amiga? RISC-OS? VMS?

      best regards,
      <hop> when you start making only stupid mistakes that are obvious, thats
      when you start getting competent
      <hop> because you don't make fundamental misunderstanding mistakes
      <hop> and thats a *good* sign.

    • mattn
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
        On Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:05:47 AM UTC+9, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > On 05/09/13 02:40, mattn wrote:
        >
        > > Hi.
        >

        > > :e foo:bar
        >
        > > :set swapfile
        >
        > > :swapname
        >
        > > foo:.bar.swp
        >

        > > This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp
        >

        > > https://gist.github.com/6444548
        >

        > On which OS are you running? On Unix and Mac OS X the path separator is
        >
        > a forward slash, on Windows it is a backslash (except a colon can be use
        >
        > after a single letter at the start). The above data makes it seem that
        >
        > on your system the colon is a path separator which can be used after a
        >
        > prefix of more than one letter. What system is that? Amiga? RISC-OS? VMS?
        >

        > best regards,
        >
        > Tony.
        >
        > --
        >
        > <hop> when you start making only stupid mistakes that are obvious, thats
        >
        > when you start getting competent
        >
        > <hop> because you don't make fundamental misunderstanding mistakes
        >
        > <hop> and thats a *good* sign.

        Sorry, It happen on windows just only. It's sub-stream feature on windows. And I notice my patch is wrong. it doesn't fix issue.

        I'll try to fix again.

      • Ken Takata
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
          Hi,

          2013/09/05 Thu 12:29:49 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
          > Sorry, It happen on windows just only. It's sub-stream feature on windows. And I notice my patch is wrong. it doesn't fix issue.
          >
          > I'll try to fix again.

          I want to explain more detail of the problem.
          Windows can't use ':' as a normal filename. ':' is used for "Alternate Data
          Streams (ADS)" on NTFS.
          E.g. "foo:bar" is an ADS named "bar" which belongs to a normal file "foo".

          When edit an ADS "foo:bar", currently a swapfile "foo:.bar" will be
          created, which means that a normal file "foo" will also be created
          automatically even we don't save the ADS "foo:bar". After quiting vim
          without saving "foo:bar", the file "foo" remains.

          Regards,
          Ken Takata

        • mattn
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
            I updated patch

            https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
              Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

              > I updated patch
              >
              > https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

              About this part:

              +#ifdef WIN3264
              + if (buf->b_fname != NULL && !mch_isFullName(buf->b_fname))
              + {
              + char *t;
              + buf_fname = (char *)vim_strsave(buf->b_fname);
              + for (t = gettail(buf_fname); *t != NUL; mb_ptr_adv(t))
              + if (*t == ':')
              + *t = '%';
              + }
              +
              +#endif

              It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
              thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
              cases.

              --
              "Hit any key to continue" is a lie.

            • mattn
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:06:52 PM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
                > thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
                > cases.

                Thanks for your review.
                I updated patch:

                https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

                I found another problem that couldn't treat UNC paths with my patch. The patch contains fixes of it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:06:52 PM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
                  > > thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
                  > > cases.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your review.
                  > I updated patch:
                  >
                  > https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548
                  >
                  > I found another problem that couldn't treat UNC paths with my patch.
                  > The patch contains fixes of it.

                  Thanks, it's in the todo list.

                  195. Your cat has its own home page.