Re: Sorting of help tags (was: :help !! jumps to :!! topic instead)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
      On 05/09/13 02:04, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > On 2013-09-05, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> Using :%g/^! on the tags file shows that there are no other tags
      >> starting with an exclamation mark, which is not surprising since the
      >> tags file is sorted.
      >
      > I see in $VIMRUNTIME/doc/tags that the tags are indeed sorted. In
      > that case, why does :help !<C-D> produce this horrific mess?
      >
      > :help !
      > :! /\@! :edit! expr-!~# win16-!start
      > :!! :no! :enew! expr-!~? win32-!start
      > :#! /\@<! :mapc! :edit!_f :noremap!
      > :_! :ene! :read! :map_l! viminfo-!
      > :r! :map! expr-! :range! :mapclear!
      > :w! :unm! expr-!= :retab!
      > v_! cpo-! expr-!~ :unmap!
      > :!cmd tag-! expr-!=# :args_f!
      > :!start :set-! expr-!=? :buffer-!
      >
      > In this and other cases of :help <something><C-D>, you pretty much
      > have to read every item because there is no apparent order to the
      > list.

      And yet Vim generates them in some specific order. The list is to be
      read columnwise (the leftmost column top to bottom, then the next column
      top to bottom, etc.), and Vim tries to place the "most relevant" results
      first. This is explained under ":help tag-priority". Results of equal
      relevancy are output (IIUC) shortest-first, then alphabetically.

      > (Yes, the exclamation points appear farther to the right in later
      > entries, but that is not useful and is not even true in general, as
      > ":buffer-!" precedes "win16-!start".)
      >
      > I generated this from Vim 7.4.9 started as
      >
      > vim -N -u NONE
      >
      > on Linux.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Gary

      The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to eat.
      -- John McNulty