:e foo:bar makes broken swap file foo:.bar.swp. and doesn't removed.

  • mattn
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi.

      :e foo:bar
      :set swapfile
      :swapname
      foo:.bar.swp

      This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp

      https://gist.github.com/6444548

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
        On 2013-09-04, mattn wrote:
        > Hi.
        >
        > :e foo:bar
        > :set swapfile
        > :swapname
        > foo:.bar.swp

        Using Vim 7.4.9 on Linux, started as

        vim -N -u NONE

        I get

        :swapname
        .foo:bar.swp

        as expected.

        > This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp

        Why do you think the swapfile name should contain a percent sign?
        The percent sign is used in swapfile names in place of the path
        separator when 'directory' ends with two path separators.

        Regards,
        Gary

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
          On 05/09/13 02:40, mattn wrote:
          > Hi.
          >
          > :e foo:bar
          > :set swapfile
          > :swapname
          > foo:.bar.swp
          >
          > This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp
          >
          > https://gist.github.com/6444548

          On which OS are you running? On Unix and Mac OS X the path separator is
          a forward slash, on Windows it is a backslash (except a colon can be use
          after a single letter at the start). The above data makes it seem that
          on your system the colon is a path separator which can be used after a
          prefix of more than one letter. What system is that? Amiga? RISC-OS? VMS?

          best regards,
          <hop> when you start making only stupid mistakes that are obvious, thats
          when you start getting competent
          <hop> because you don't make fundamental misunderstanding mistakes
          <hop> and thats a *good* sign.

        • mattn
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
            On Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:05:47 AM UTC+9, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 05/09/13 02:40, mattn wrote:
            >
            > > Hi.
            >

            > > :e foo:bar
            >
            > > :set swapfile
            >
            > > :swapname
            >
            > > foo:.bar.swp
            >

            > > This swapfile name should be .foo%bar.swp
            >

            > > https://gist.github.com/6444548
            >

            > On which OS are you running? On Unix and Mac OS X the path separator is
            >
            > a forward slash, on Windows it is a backslash (except a colon can be use
            >
            > after a single letter at the start). The above data makes it seem that
            >
            > on your system the colon is a path separator which can be used after a
            >
            > prefix of more than one letter. What system is that? Amiga? RISC-OS? VMS?
            >

            > best regards,
            >
            > Tony.
            >
            > --
            >
            > <hop> when you start making only stupid mistakes that are obvious, thats
            >
            > when you start getting competent
            >
            > <hop> because you don't make fundamental misunderstanding mistakes
            >
            > <hop> and thats a *good* sign.

            Sorry, It happen on windows just only. It's sub-stream feature on windows. And I notice my patch is wrong. it doesn't fix issue.

            I'll try to fix again.

          • Ken Takata
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
              Hi,

              2013/09/05 Thu 12:29:49 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
              > Sorry, It happen on windows just only. It's sub-stream feature on windows. And I notice my patch is wrong. it doesn't fix issue.
              >
              > I'll try to fix again.

              I want to explain more detail of the problem.
              Windows can't use ':' as a normal filename. ':' is used for "Alternate Data
              Streams (ADS)" on NTFS.
              E.g. "foo:bar" is an ADS named "bar" which belongs to a normal file "foo".

              When edit an ADS "foo:bar", currently a swapfile "foo:.bar" will be
              created, which means that a normal file "foo" will also be created
              automatically even we don't save the ADS "foo:bar". After quiting vim
              without saving "foo:bar", the file "foo" remains.

              Regards,
              Ken Takata

            • mattn
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
                I updated patch

                https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > I updated patch
                  >
                  > https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

                  About this part:

                  +#ifdef WIN3264
                  + if (buf->b_fname != NULL && !mch_isFullName(buf->b_fname))
                  + {
                  + char *t;
                  + buf_fname = (char *)vim_strsave(buf->b_fname);
                  + for (t = gettail(buf_fname); *t != NUL; mb_ptr_adv(t))
                  + if (*t == ':')
                  + *t = '%';
                  + }
                  +
                  +#endif

                  It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
                  thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
                  cases.

                  --
                  "Hit any key to continue" is a lie.

                • mattn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                    On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:06:52 PM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
                    > thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
                    > cases.

                    Thanks for your review.
                    I updated patch:

                    https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548

                    I found another problem that couldn't treat UNC paths with my patch. The patch contains fixes of it.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
                      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                      > On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:06:52 PM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > It would be better to only make a copy of the file name when needed,
                      > > thus first check if there is a colon. That avoids the copy in most
                      > > cases.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your review.
                      > I updated patch:
                      >
                      > https://gist.github.com/mattn/6444548
                      >
                      > I found another problem that couldn't treat UNC paths with my patch.
                      > The patch contains fixes of it.

                      Thanks, it's in the todo list.

                      195. Your cat has its own home page.