jump function

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2013
      Dear vim_dev,

      Recently I tried to make a user function for jumping through the jump
      list (by files), but it happens that there is no good interface for
      that. For example CTRL-I could possibly be only with :normal! <c-i> but
      this does not work (even in vim -U NONE in the terminal, I have not
      tested this in the GUI though) and also using CTRL-V will not work since
      CTRL-V_CTRL-I produces a tab (this works with CTRL-O thought).
      I present here a very simple patch which introduce a vim function
      jump({count}). :call jump(-5) will jump back in the jump list by
      5 positions and :call jump(5) will jump forward five positions.

      Any comments are welcome,
      Marcin Szamotulski

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2013
        On 20:44 Thu 29 Aug , glts wrote:
        > Hi Marcin,
        >
        > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
        > > Recently I tried to make a user function for jumping through the jump
        > > list (by files), but it happens that there is no good interface for
        > > that. For example CTRL-I could possibly be only with :normal! <c-i> but
        > > this does not work (even in vim -U NONE in the terminal, I have not
        > > tested this in the GUI though) and also using CTRL-V will not work since
        > > CTRL-V_CTRL-I produces a tab (this works with CTRL-O thought).
        > > I present here a very simple patch which introduce a vim function
        > > jump({count}). :call jump(-5) will jump back in the jump list by
        > > 5 positions and :call jump(5) will jump forward five positions.
        >
        > cheers. But for what it's worth, I don't see a big advantage in
        >
        > :call jump(-3)
        > :call jump(1)
        >
        > over
        >
        > :norm! 3^O
        > :norm! 1^I
        >
        > or
        >
        > :exe "norm! 3\<C-O>"
        > :exe "norm! 1\<C-I>"
        >
        > Just one more function to add to the list.

        That's interesting, but apparently:

        nm \<c-i> :exe "norm! \<C-I>"<cr>
        ends with error E471: Argument reuired, exactly the same as:
        :normal! ^I

        Though as I have mentioned earlier there is no problem with ^O. I use
        vim, but this also does not work in gvim (on GNU/Linux). I also tested
        this with vim -U NONE, and it does not work. Having a simple reliable
        solution would be good, that's why I wrote the small patch. Is it
        possible to fix :normal when \<C-I> get expanded to a tab character?
        I don't think so, but I am not a vim-guru ...

        Cheers,
        Marcin