Re: Can't pass arguments into external command when enc=utf-8

  • Ken Takata
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
      Hi,

      I found some more UTF-8 issues and I wrote additional patches to fix them.

      2013/08/10 Sat 9:57:31 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
      > * fname_case()
      > I think this should be fixed. Currently the case of a filename is not
      > set properly.

      Fixed with this patch:
      https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-win32-mq/src/96100afa35da7d0f5c0ac51ebad436083bf701a3/fix-utf8-fname_case.patch

      > * mch_nodetype()
      > I'm not sure this should be fixed. This doesn't seem to cause an obvious
      > problem.

      Now I think it is better to fix this. I also found another issue related
      to mch_nodetype().
      mch_nodetype() is intended to be called by readfile() in fileio.c, but
      actually it is not called because a #if block for Windows is inside of
      a '#ifdef UNIX' block!! Because of this, the 'opendevice' option doesn't
      work when opening a device file.

      Fixed with these patches:
      https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-win32-mq/src/5ac9bea8445125dddf03f6980bdb4f39ba1ce265/fix-device-check-on-Windows.patch
      https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-win32-mq/src/54bcdfe31710bfc3019fdf848b7bff60b498deea/fix-utf8-nodetype.patch

      * mch_isFullName() and vim_stat() in os_mswin.c
      Buffer size is not enough for UTF-8.
      WinNT and later can use _MAX_PATH wide characters for a pathname, which
      means that the maximum pathname is _MAX_PATH * 3 bytes when 'enc' is UTF-8,
      but currently the size is _MAX_PATH bytes. (When a UTF-16 code unit is
      converted to UTF-8, the size becomes 1 to 3 bytes. For a surrogate pair,
      two UTF-16 code units are converted to a 4-byte UTF-8 character.)

      Fixed with this patch:
      https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-win32-mq/src/98d42e4cde77d200ededbbd14e71f60f6705ff98/fix-utf8-buffer-length.patch

      * mch_resolve_shortcut() in os_mswin.c
      Wide APIs are not used.

      Fixed with this patch:
      https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-win32-mq/src/98d42e4cde77d200ededbbd14e71f60f6705ff98/fix-utf8-mch_resolve_shortcut.patch

      Regards,
      Ken Takata

    • mattn
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2013
        Bram, I guess, many users which uses multi-byte hope this patch.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2013
          Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > Bram, I guess, many users which uses multi-byte hope this patch.

          Ken's patches have drifted down in the todo list.
          I'll move them up a bit.

          --
          A day without sunshine is like, well, night.

        • Ken Takata
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 11, 2013
            Hi Bram,

            2013/12/11 Wed 21:22:05 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:
            >
            > > Bram, I guess, many users which uses multi-byte hope this patch.
            >
            > Ken's patches have drifted down in the todo list.
            > I'll move them up a bit.

            No, what he mentioned are not my patches.
            I think that mattn's patch is more important than mine:
            https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/UsAv0LIIEug/GoD3DLbTDusJ .

            Regards,
            Ken Takata

          • mattn
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11, 2013
              On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:39:11 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
              > No, what he mentioned are not my patches.
              > I think that mattn's patch is more important than mine:
              > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/UsAv0LIIEug/GoD3DLbTDusJ .

              Yes, I mean that.

              Recently, many users uses gvim.exe with utf-8 on windows. But currently, gvim.exe doesn't work to pass argument to external command as well if encoding=utf-8.