Re: Vim syntax file should not require interpreter support to highlight :{interp}<

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2013
      James McCoy wrote:

      > On Aug 21, 2013 1:42 PM, "Charles Campbell"
      > <Charles.E.Campbell@... <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > LCD 47 wrote:
      > >>
      > >> ..snip..
      > >>
      > >> +1 for this. People routinely edit files that only make sense
      > (and
      > >> will only ever run) on remote servers. There are legitimate situations
      > >> where editing a file has nothing to do with actually running it.
      > >>
      > > Except, if its embedded in vimscript, then it is intended to be
      > executed by vim.
      >
      > But not necessarily *this* Vim, which is the point. The syntax is
      > valid regardless of whether this Vim has been built to execute the syntax.

      Which again means: the writer of the script has no intention of testing
      it at the current time. Bad idea.

      Nonetheless, I've have posted a new version at my website and given a
      copy to Bram several days ago.

    • Peter Prohaska
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 22, 2013
        On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Charles Campbell
        <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
        > James McCoy wrote:
        >

        >> On Aug 21, 2013 1:42 PM, "Charles Campbell" <Charles.E.Campbell@...
        >> <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>> wrote:

        >> > Except, if its embedded in vimscript, then it is intended to be executed
        >> > by vim.
        >>
        >> But not necessarily *this* Vim, which is the point. The syntax is valid
        >> regardless of whether this Vim has been built to execute the syntax.
        >>

        > Which again means: the writer of the script has no intention of testing it
        > at the current time. Bad idea.

        Which again is not if someone asks you for a quick review of the code.