Filename completion on Windows with Exclamation Mark

  • Jan.Stocker@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013

      Hi,

      this bug really hurts me a long time.If you use VIM on a Windows system and using directories with an exclamation mark the filename completion does not work.

      If you want to load

      c:\folder!\file.txt
      you can write
      :e c:\fold<tab>
      Now the line will be expanded to
      :e c:\folder\!\
      The exclamation mark is escaped by a backslash. This escaped string cannot be expanded, so
      :e c:\folder\!\<TAB>
      leads to a beep. You have to remove the backslash before the exclamation mark
      :e c:\folder!\<TAB>
      and it works like this
      :e c:\folder\!\file.txt
      The expanding now works BUT the backslash is inserted again. This command will not execute correctly, you have to remove the backslash again to open the file.
      :e c:\folder!\file.txt
      So I think on windows the exclamation mark should not be escaped but Bram thinks for external command the ! must be escaped.
      Can anyone have a look at this, my company has a filename convention, so i can not change the directory names.
      Thank you all a lot.
      Jan