Re: paragraph object issue

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
      On 2013-08-06, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > If you open the latest vim (vim -nNX -u NONE) and insert these lines:
      >
      > .jpg 01;35
      > .emf 01;35
      >
      > then go to the top (gg) and try vap...
      > There is an issue

      :set paragraphs=
      gg
      vap

      No issue.

      :help 'paragraphs'
      :help paragraph

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Benjamin R. Haskell
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
        On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:21:02 AM UTC-5, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
        >> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi all,
        >>
        >>> If you open the latest vim (vim -nNX -u NONE) and insert these lines:
        >>>
        >>> .jpg  01;35
        >>> .jpeg 01;35
        >>> .gif  01;35
        >>> .bmp  01;35
        >>> .pbm  01;35
        >>> .pgm  01;35
        >>> .ppm  01;35
        >>
        >> With no filetype, a paragraph is defined by the 'paragraphs' setting.
        >> The '.pp' beginning the above line is treated as one of the `nroff`
        >> macros that typically starts a paragraph.
        >>

        > Am I missing something? To my knowledge even WITH a filetype, a
        > paragraph is defined by the 'paragraphs' setting.

        Touché. You're right. I always assumed something else took over,
        seeing as how selecting paragraphs in other filetypes ever does
        something useful.

        At :help paragraph, I see also "A paragraph begins after each empty
        line, and also at each of a set of paragraph macros" (The ones in the
        'paragraphs' setting.) So, everywhere else it works for me, it's really
        just using the blank lines.

        --
        Best,
        Ben H

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
          Hi Benjamin!

          On Di, 06 Aug 2013, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

          > On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:

          > >>With no filetype, a paragraph is defined by the 'paragraphs'
          > >>setting. The '.pp' beginning the above line is treated as one of
          > >>the `nroff` macros that typically starts a paragraph.
          > >>

          > >Am I missing something? To my knowledge even WITH a filetype, a
          > >paragraph is defined by the 'paragraphs' setting.
          > >

          > Touché. You're right. I always assumed something else took over,
          > seeing as how selecting paragraphs in other filetypes ever does
          > something useful.
          >
          > At :help paragraph, I see also "A paragraph begins after each empty
          > line, and also at each of a set of paragraph macros" (The ones in
          > the 'paragraphs' setting.) So, everywhere else it works for me,
          > it's really just using the blank lines.

          I started working on a patch, so that you could specify a paragraph as a
          regular expression. But it is still unfinished work. I haven't had time
          to finish it yet though.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
          Reiner Lös

        • Dimitar DIMITROV
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
            >> Hi all,
            >>
            >> If you open the latest vim (vim -nNX -u NONE) and insert these lines:
            >>
            >> .jpg  01;35
            >> .jpeg 01;35
            >> .gif  01;35
            >> .bmp  01;35
            >> .pbm  01;35
            >> .pgm  01;35
            >> .ppm  01;35
            >
            >With no filetype, a paragraph is defined by the 'paragraphs' setting.  The
            >'.pp' beginning the above line is treated as one of the `nroff` macros that typically starts a paragraph.
            >
            >> [...]
            >>
            >> then go to the top (gg) and try vap...
            >> There is an issue
            >
            >Not an issue.  Just a weird historical default.

            Indeed, I was editing my ~/.dir_colors and it surprised me.
            I should only use these defaults for nroff files, otherwise :se para=
            Cheers

            >For more info, see:
            >:help paragraph

            Dimitar Dimitrov