Re: Patch 7.4b.012

  • LCD 47
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
      On 4 August 2013, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > On 03/08/13 14:11, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > >Patch 7.4b.012
      > >Problem: Output from a shell command is truncated at a NUL. (lcd 47)
      > >Solution: Change every NUL into an SOH.
      > >Files: src/misc1.c
      >
      > Why into an SOH, and not into a (non-line-breaking) LF like
      > everywhere else in Vim?

      Because then NUL would be indistinguishable from "normal" LF, which
      may or may not be what you want when parsing compiler errors. SOHs
      can be converted to LFs if you don't need them, but not the other way
      around.

      /lcd

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2013
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 03/08/13 14:11, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > >
        > > Patch 7.4b.012
        > > Problem: Output from a shell command is truncated at a NUL. (lcd 47)
        > > Solution: Change every NUL into an SOH.
        > > Files: src/misc1.c
        >
        > Why into an SOH, and not into a (non-line-breaking) LF like everywhere
        > else in Vim?

        Because you then can't see the difference between a real LF (which
        occurs very often) and what used to be a NUL.

        For the same reason I didn't use a space.

        Now you can't see the difference between what used to be a NUL and a
        real SOH, but that just doesn't happen often.

        44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
        channel.