Re: strikethrough text in gvim

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
      On Mi, 24 Jul 2013, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > I have a feature request for gvim, I'm not sure if I should ask it
      > here or on the dev list?
      > Would it be possible to add support for strikethrough text in Gvim?
      > Since gvim can already display bold, italic, underline and undercurl
      > text I guess it can't be too difficult to add this to gvim?
      >
      > Strikethrough text would be useful in multiple occasions imho. For
      > example in Vimwiki you can add ~~some text~~ which will be rendered
      > to html as strikethrough, so it would be nice if gvim could actually
      > show it as strikethrough (exactly the same as currently for *bold*
      > and _italic_ text in vimwiki).
      > Or for example to clearly indicate removed text when viewing a diff.
      >
      > Jeroen

      This sounds like an interesting idea and I thought, it would be fun, to
      check how easy it would be to implement it.

      Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
      Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
      and Mac is actually correct and works, though.

      Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
      I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
      undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
      strikethrough.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Ken Takata
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12 7:25 AM
        Hi Christian,

        2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
        > Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
        > and Mac is actually correct and works, though.

        I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine.
        I checked it with the following process:

        > gvim -N foo.html
        :syn enable
        :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6 contains=@htmlTop
        :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough
        i<del>foo</del>

        > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
        > I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
        > undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
        > strikethrough.

        I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap doesn't
        support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own attribute names.
        (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE')
        I also think that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the
        'highlight' option.

        I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying this patch
        and setting escape sequences properly,

        let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
        let &t_Te="\e[29m"

        some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.

        (*)
        RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
        pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/

        Regards,
        Ken Takata

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19 5:46 AM
          Hi Ken!

          On Sa, 12 Okt 2013, Ken Takata wrote:
          > 2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
          > > Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
          > > and Mac is actually correct and works, though.
          >
          > I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine.
          > I checked it with the following process:
          >
          > > gvim -N foo.html
          > :syn enable
          > :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6 contains=@htmlTop
          > :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough
          > i<del>foo</del>
          >

          > > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
          > > I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
          > > undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
          > > strikethrough.
          >
          > I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap doesn't
          > support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own attribute names.
          > (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE')
          > I also think that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the
          > 'highlight' option.
          >
          > I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying this patch
          > and setting escape sequences properly,
          >
          > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
          > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
          >
          > some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.
          >
          > (*)
          > RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
          > pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/

          Very nice, thanks!

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
          Rod Ation

        • Ken Takata
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2016
            Hi,

            2013/10/12 Sat 23:25:06 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
            > Hi Christian,
            >
            > 2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
            > > Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
            > > and Mac is actually correct and works, though.
            >
            > I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine.
            > I checked it with the following process:
            >
            > > gvim -N foo.html
            > :syn enable
            > :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6 contains=@htmlTop
            > :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough
            > i<del>foo</del>
            >

            > > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
            > > I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
            > > undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
            > > strikethrough.
            >
            > I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap doesn't
            > support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own attribute names.
            > (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE')
            > I also think that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the
            > 'highlight' option.
            >
            > I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying this patch
            > and setting escape sequences properly,
            >
            > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
            > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
            >
            > some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.
            >
            > (*)
            > RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
            > pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/

            I found that this patch cannot be used for GTK3, but I don't know how to fix it.
            I hope someone can fix this.

            Regards,
            Ken Takata

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 25, 2016
              Hi Ken!

              On Do, 10 Mär 2016, Ken Takata wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > 2013/10/12 Sat 23:25:06 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
              > > Hi Christian,
              > >
              > > 2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > > > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK
              > > > and Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for
              > > > Windows and Mac is actually correct and works, though.
              > >
              > > I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine. I checked it with
              > > the following process:
              > >
              > > > gvim -N foo.html
              > > :syn enable :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6
              > > contains=@htmlTop :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough
              > > cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough i<del>foo</del>
              > >

              > > > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h I
              > > > don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took
              > > > the undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit
              > > > for strikethrough.
              > >
              > > I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap
              > > doesn't support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own
              > > attribute names. (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE') I also think
              > > that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the 'highlight'
              > > option.
              > >
              > > I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying
              > > this patch and setting escape sequences properly,
              > >
              > > let &t_Ts="\e[9m" let &t_Te="\e[29m"
              > >
              > > some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.
              > >
              > > (*) RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
              > > pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/
              >
              > I found that this patch cannot be used for GTK3, but I don't know how
              > to fix it. I hope someone can fix this.

              Seems like you did fix this with the latest version here:
              https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/9e19c0c57c4812557e7750629de02986249a5246/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default

              Seems to work fine for me. Bram, I think this might be a nice addition
              for vim 8.

              Best,
              Christian
              --
              Um sich von einer zu großen Liebe oder Duldsamkeit für etwas zu
              heilen, muß man nicht die Feinde davon lesen, sondern die Freunde.

            • Ken Takata
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 25, 2016
                Hi Christian,

                2016/4/26 Tue 1:53:17 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                > Hi Ken!
                >
                > On Do, 10 Mär 2016, Ken Takata wrote:
                >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > 2013/10/12 Sat 23:25:06 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                > > > Hi Christian,

                > > > I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine. I checked it with
                > > > the following process:

                > > > :syn enable :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6
                > > > contains=@htmlTop :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough
                > > > cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough i<del>foo</del>

                > > > I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap
                > > > doesn't support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own
                > > > attribute names. (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE') I also think
                > > > that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the 'highlight'
                > > > option.
                > > >
                > > > I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying
                > > > this patch and setting escape sequences properly,
                > > >
                > > > let &t_Ts="\e[9m" let &t_Te="\e[29m"
                > > >
                > > > some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.
                > > >
                > > > (*) RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
                > > > pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/
                > >
                > > I found that this patch cannot be used for GTK3, but I don't know how
                > > to fix it. I hope someone can fix this.
                >
                > Seems like you did fix this with the latest version here:
                > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/9e19c0c57c4812557e7750629de02986249a5246/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default

                I made a fix but I haven't tested it yet.

                > Seems to work fine for me. Bram, I think this might be a nice addition
                > for vim 8.

                Thank you for checking. Does it work both with GTK2 and GTK3?

                Regards,
                Ken Takata

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 25, 2016
                  Hi Ken!

                  ,----
                  | :syn region htmlStrike start="<del>"ms=s+5 end="</del>"me=e-6
                  | :hi def htmlStrike gui=strikethrough term=strikethrough
                  | i<del>foobar</del>
                  `----

                  This works in GTK2 and GTK3 gui but I couldn't check the terminal, since
                  I don't have a terminal that has this capability

                  Best,
                  Christian
                  --
                  Frauen sind das beste in dieser Art.
                  -- Curt Goetz

                • Ken Takata
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 26, 2016
                    Hi,

                    2016/4/26 Tue 15:12:51 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                    > Hi Ken!
                    >
                    > On Mo, 25 Apr 2016, Ken Takata wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Christian,
                    > >
                    > > 2016/4/26 Tue 1:53:17 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                    > > > Hi Ken!

                    > > > Seems like you did fix this with the latest version here:
                    > > > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/9e19c0c57c4812557e7750629de02986249a5246/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default
                    > >
                    > > I made a fix but I haven't tested it yet.
                    > >
                    > > > Seems to work fine for me. Bram, I think this might be a nice addition
                    > > > for vim 8.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for checking. Does it work both with GTK2 and GTK3?
                    >
                    > ,----
                    > | :syn region htmlStrike start="<del>"ms=s+5 end="</del>"me=e-6
                    > | :hi def htmlStrike gui=strikethrough term=strikethrough
                    > | i<del>foobar</del>
                    > `----
                    >
                    > This works in GTK2 and GTK3 gui but I couldn't check the terminal, since
                    > I don't have a terminal that has this capability

                    Thank you for checking.
                    Now I check with Win32 GUI and also with terminal (mintty). Both works fine.
                    As I wrote before, I have to set the following esc sequences:

                    let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
                    let &t_Te="\e[29m"

                    Hayaki Saito told me that xterm (with patch#305) also supported these sequences.
                    Is it better to set these sequences as default when $TERM is xterm?

                    Regards,
                    Ken Takata

                  • Christian Brabandt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 26, 2016
                      Am 2016-04-26 15:51, schrieb Ken Takata:
                      [strikethrough patch]

                      > Thank you for checking.
                      > Now I check with Win32 GUI and also with terminal (mintty). Both works
                      > fine.
                      > As I wrote before, I have to set the following esc sequences:
                      >
                      > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
                      > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
                      >
                      > Hayaki Saito told me that xterm (with patch#305) also supported these
                      > sequences.
                      > Is it better to set these sequences as default when $TERM is xterm?

                      Yes, I think this would be better.

                      Best,
                      Christian

                    • Ken Takata
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 26, 2016
                        Hi,

                        2016/4/26 Tue 22:57:57 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                        > Am 2016-04-26 15:51, schrieb Ken Takata:
                        > [strikethrough patch]
                        >
                        > > Thank you for checking.
                        > > Now I check with Win32 GUI and also with terminal (mintty). Both works
                        > > fine.
                        > > As I wrote before, I have to set the following esc sequences:
                        > >
                        > > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
                        > > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
                        > >
                        > > Hayaki Saito told me that xterm (with patch#305) also supported these
                        > > sequences.
                        > > Is it better to set these sequences as default when $TERM is xterm?
                        >
                        > Yes, I think this would be better.

                        OK, updated.
                        https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/8ec78b1ef8c5e728c74cb6cc10fc74cd90914546/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default

                        Regards,
                        Ken Takata

                      • Ken Takata
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 17, 2016
                          Hi,

                          2016/4/27 Wed 0:41:07 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > 2016/4/26 Tue 22:57:57 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                          > > Am 2016-04-26 15:51, schrieb Ken Takata:
                          > > [strikethrough patch]
                          > >
                          > > > Thank you for checking.
                          > > > Now I check with Win32 GUI and also with terminal (mintty). Both works
                          > > > fine.
                          > > > As I wrote before, I have to set the following esc sequences:
                          > > >
                          > > > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
                          > > > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
                          > > >
                          > > > Hayaki Saito told me that xterm (with patch#305) also supported these
                          > > > sequences.
                          > > > Is it better to set these sequences as default when $TERM is xterm?
                          > >
                          > > Yes, I think this would be better.
                          >
                          > OK, updated.
                          > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/8ec78b1ef8c5e728c74cb6cc10fc74cd90914546/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default

                          I have updated the patch for the latest code:
                          https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/006cdbbeef26201154d04b7dfe1aed119321acb1/strikethrough.diff?at=default

                          Regards,
                          Ken Takata

                        • Ken Takata
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 23
                            Hi,

                            2016/7/18 Mon 11:16:44 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > 2016/4/27 Wed 0:41:07 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > 2016/4/26 Tue 22:57:57 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                            > > > Am 2016-04-26 15:51, schrieb Ken Takata:
                            > > > [strikethrough patch]

                            > > > Yes, I think this would be better.
                            > >
                            > > OK, updated.
                            > > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/8ec78b1ef8c5e728c74cb6cc10fc74cd90914546/strikethrough.diff?fileviewer=file-view-default
                            >
                            > I have updated the patch for the latest code:
                            > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/006cdbbeef26201154d04b7dfe1aed119321acb1/strikethrough.diff?at=default

                            I have updated the patch to support the terminal feature.
                            With this patch, strikethrough lines in a terminal will be shown as expected.
                            (Without this, they are shown as inverted text.)

                            E.g.:
                            :terminal
                            echo -e "\e[9mhello\e[m"

                            The string "hello" will be shown with a strike line.

                            Please check the attached patch.

                            Regards,
                            Ken Takata