Re: [patch] :perldo doesn't work on 32-bit Windows

  • Ken Takata
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30 7:37 AM
      Hi Bram,

      2013/07/30 Tue 5:15:49 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > OK. Is _USE_32BIT_TIME_T only used by Perl or does it affect the whole
      > of Vim?

      It affects the whole of Vim. So we have to consider other if_*s.
      I confirmed that if_python/python3/ruby worked fine with or without
      _USE_32BIT_TIME_T. I didn't check if_mzsch and if_tcl. (Note that
      ActiveTcl 8.5 is also compiled by VC6.)

      Another way is applying _USE_32BIT_TIME_T only to if_perl.
      Please check the attached patch.
      We have to make sure that we don't use time_t to exchange data
      between if_perl.xs and the other part of Vim.

      I'm not sure which patch is better.

      > Would there be a way to handle it in the code somehow, with
      > sizeof(time_t)?

      I think it's difficult. A struct named "interpreter" has a time_t typed
      member "basetime". (See perl.h and intrpvar.h.) If the size of time_t is
      changed, all the members after the "basetime" are affected.

      This is also related to 7.3.623.

      Regards,
      Ken Takata

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
        Ken Takata wrote:

        > Hi Bram,
        >
        > 2013/07/30 Tue 5:15:49 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > OK. Is _USE_32BIT_TIME_T only used by Perl or does it affect the whole
        > > of Vim?
        >
        > It affects the whole of Vim. So we have to consider other if_*s.
        > I confirmed that if_python/python3/ruby worked fine with or without
        > _USE_32BIT_TIME_T. I didn't check if_mzsch and if_tcl. (Note that
        > ActiveTcl 8.5 is also compiled by VC6.)
        >
        > Another way is applying _USE_32BIT_TIME_T only to if_perl.
        > Please check the attached patch.
        > We have to make sure that we don't use time_t to exchange data
        > between if_perl.xs and the other part of Vim.
        >
        > I'm not sure which patch is better.
        >

        > > Would there be a way to handle it in the code somehow, with
        > > sizeof(time_t)?
        >
        > I think it's difficult. A struct named "interpreter" has a time_t typed
        > member "basetime". (See perl.h and intrpvar.h.) If the size of time_t is
        > changed, all the members after the "basetime" are affected.
        >
        > This is also related to 7.3.623.

        Thanks, I prefer this patch because it's a problem with Perl and the
        solution should only apply to Perl. We never know when this is going to
        cause a problem somewhere else, and then we probably forgot about this
        #define.

        33. You name your children Eudora, Mozilla and Dotcom.