Re: Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

  • Amadeus Demarzi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28 11:19 AM
      On Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:05:26 AM UTC-7, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.zip
      >
      > > > GUI binary with OLE support:
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.zip
      >
      > > > Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.zip
      >
      > > > Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bsrc.zip
      >

      > > > For debugging:
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.pdb
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.pdb
      >
      > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.pdb
      >

      > > > Omitted in this version are:
      >
      > > > - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
      >
      > > > - The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      >
      > > > - The 16 bit MS-Windows version
      >

      > > > Mailing lists

      > > > lot of tips, scripts and solutions. You can ask your Vim questions, but
      >
      > > > only if you subscribe. See http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim
      >

      > > > If you want to help Vim development, discuss new features or get the
      >
      > > > latest patches, subscribe to the vim-dev mailing list. See
      >
      > > > http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-dev
      >

      > > > Subject specific lists:
      >
      > > > Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      >
      > > > Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac
      >

      > > > Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      >
      > > > already have given the answer.
      >

      > > > Reporting bugs
      >
      > > > --------------
      >

      > > > Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      >
      > > > All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      >
      > > > spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      >
      > > > find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      >
      > > > bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      >
      > > > different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send a patch
      >
      > > > if you can!
      >

      > > > Happy Vimming!
      >

      > > > --
      >
      > > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
      >
      > > > 15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
      >
      > > > party because you're not in the mood.
      >

      > > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
      >
      > > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      >
      > > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
      >
      > > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
      >

      > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
      >

      > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
      >

      > > And it does not crash with
      >

      > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
      >

      > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the version number) inside:
      >

      > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
      >

      > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
      >
      > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
      >
      > > the above example.
      >

      > > Best regards,
      >
      > > Marcin Szamotulski
      >

      > ps. I should have added that the crash is only with "set re=2".

      Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?

      https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28 1:07 PM
        [ please start a new thread for unrelated messages )

        > Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?
        >
        > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0

        I think that was already included.

        16. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28 1:07 PM
          Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

          > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
          >
          > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
          >
          > And it does not crash with
          >
          > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
          >
          > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
          > version number) inside:
          >
          > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
          >
          > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
          > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
          > the above example.

          I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.

          17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
          time this week!!!!!"

        • Amadeus Demarzi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28 3:07 PM
            On Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:07:17 PM UTC-7, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > [ please start a new thread for unrelated messages )
            >

            > > Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?
            >

            > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0
            >

            > I think that was already included.
            >

            > --
            >
            > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
            >
            > 16. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.

            I am an idiot, you're right. Thanks!

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28 10:28 PM
              On 22:07 Sun 28 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              >
              > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
              > >
              > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
              > >
              > > And it does not crash with
              > >
              > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
              > >
              > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
              > > version number) inside:
              > >
              > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
              > >
              > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
              > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
              > > the above example.
              >
              > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
              >
              > --
              > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
              > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
              > time this week!!!!!"

              This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:

              \%(\%(\|a\)*\)

              but

              \(\(\|a\)*\)

              works fine. Also

              \%(\(\|a\)*\)

              works fine but

              \(\%(\|a\)*\)

              crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.

              Best regards,
              Marcin

            • Marcin Szamotulski
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                On 06:28 Mon 29 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                > On 22:07 Sun 28 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > >
                > > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                > >
                > > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
                > > >
                > > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                > > >
                > > > And it does not crash with
                > > >
                > > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                > > >
                > > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
                > > > version number) inside:
                > > >
                > > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
                > > >
                > > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
                > > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
                > > > the above example.
                > >
                > > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
                > >
                > > --
                > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                > > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                > > time this week!!!!!"
                > >
                > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
                > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                >
                > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                >
                > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                >
                > but
                >
                > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                >
                > works fine. Also
                >
                > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                >
                > works fine but
                >
                > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                >
                > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Marcin

                Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:

                {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}

                but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                i.e when another {...} is embedded.

                Bets regards,
                Marcin

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                  Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                  > On 06:28 Mon 29 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                  > > > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                  > > > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                  > > > time this week!!!!!"
                  > > >
                  > > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                  > > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                  > > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
                  > > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                  > >
                  > > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                  > >
                  > > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                  > >
                  > > but
                  > >
                  > > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                  > >
                  > > works fine. Also
                  > >
                  > > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                  > >
                  > > works fine but
                  > >
                  > > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                  > >
                  > > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Marcin
                  >
                  > Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                  > a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:
                  >
                  > {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}
                  >
                  > but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                  > pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                  > i.e when another {...} is embedded.

                  Patch 7.4b.002 changes these kind of things. I could also make it crash
                  with \%(\)*.

                  There was another problem that went unnoticed that only happened for
                  \(\) after the fix and there was only a test for \%(\). So hopefully
                  all similar cases are solved now.

                  36. You miss more than five meals a week downloading the latest games from
                  Apogee.

                • Marcin Szamotulski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                    On 16:27 Thu 01 Aug , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                    > > > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                    > > >
                    > > > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                    > > >
                    > > > but
                    > > >
                    > > > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                    > > >
                    > > > works fine. Also
                    > > >
                    > > > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                    > > >
                    > > > works fine but
                    > > >
                    > > > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                    > > >
                    > > > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                    > > >
                    > > > Best regards,
                    > > > Marcin
                    > >
                    > > Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                    > > a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:
                    > >
                    > > {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}
                    > >
                    > > but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                    > > pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                    > > i.e when another {...} is embedded.
                    >
                    > Patch 7.4b.002 changes these kind of things. I could also make it crash
                    > with \%(\)*.
                    >
                    > There was another problem that went unnoticed that only happened for
                    > \(\) after the fix and there was only a test for \%(\). So hopefully
                    > all similar cases are solved now.
                    >
                    > --
                    > 36. You miss more than five meals a week downloading the latest games from
                    > Apogee.

                    Thanks, indeed it fixed the issues.

                    Best regards,
                    Marcin