Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4b BETA

      This is the second BETA release of Vim 7.4.

      A number of problems have been fixed since 7.4a. If no big problems are
      reported then I will release 7.4 soon. Please report anything that
      isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo in the documentation
      or a missing file.

      The biggest additions since 7.3:
      - A new, faster regular expression engine.
      - More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.4b BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.3 with:
      :help version-7.4

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
      Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
      The tag for this beta version is v7-4b-000.

      For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.3):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      The files available for download:

      UNIX:
      sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/unix/vim-7.4b.tar.bz2

      VARIOUS:
      help files converted to HTML:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/doc/vim74bhtml.zip

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      Runtime files:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74brt.zip
      GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.zip
      GUI binary with OLE support:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.zip
      Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.zip
      Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bsrc.zip

      For debugging:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.pdb

      Omitted in this version are:
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
      - The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      - The 16 bit MS-Windows version

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send a patch
      if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
      party because you're not in the mood.

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
        On 18:35 Sun 28 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> [...]
        > Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac
        >
        > Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
        > already have given the answer.
        >

        > Reporting bugs
        > --------------
        >
        > Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
        > All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
        > spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
        > find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
        > bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
        > different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send a patch
        > if you can!
        >

        > Happy Vimming!
        >

        > --
        > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
        > 15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their

        Vim crashes with the following pattern:

        \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)

        And it does not crash with

        \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)

        It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the version number) inside:

        sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11

        I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
        NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
        the above example.

        Best regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski

      • Marcin Szamotulski
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
          On 19:02 Sun 28 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
> [...]
          > >

          > > --
          > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
          > > 15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
          > > party because you're not in the mood.
          > >
          > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
          > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
          > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
          > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
          > >

          > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
          >
          > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
          >
          > And it does not crash with
          >
          > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
          >
          > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the version number) inside:
          >
          > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
          >
          > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
          > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains

          ps. I should have added that the crash is only with "set re=2".

        • Amadeus Demarzi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
            On Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:05:26 AM UTC-7, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
> [...]
            >

            > > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
            >
            > > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
            >
            > > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
            >
            > > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
            >

            > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
            >

            > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
            >

            > > And it does not crash with
            >

            > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
            >

            > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the version number) inside:
            >

            > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
            >

            > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
            >
            > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
            >
            > > the above example.
            >

            > > Best regards,
            >
            > > Marcin Szamotulski
            >

            > ps. I should have added that the crash is only with "set re=2".

            Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?

            https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
              [ please start a new thread for unrelated messages )

              > Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?
              >
              > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0

              I think that was already included.

              16. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
                Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
                >
                > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                >
                > And it does not crash with
                >
                > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                >
                > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
                > version number) inside:
                >
                > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
                >
                > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
                > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
                > the above example.

                I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.

                17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                time this week!!!!!"

              • Amadeus Demarzi
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
                  On Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:07:17 PM UTC-7, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > [ please start a new thread for unrelated messages )
                  >

                  > > Any chance this patch can get added as a todo for this beta?
                  >

                  > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/o9-IL3zmuK0
                  >

                  > I think that was already included.
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                  >
                  > 16. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.

                  I am an idiot, you're right. Thanks!

                • Marcin Szamotulski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28, 2013
                    On 22:07 Sun 28 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                    >
                    > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
                    > >
                    > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                    > >
                    > > And it does not crash with
                    > >
                    > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                    > >
                    > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
                    > > version number) inside:
                    > >
                    > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
                    > >
                    > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
                    > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
                    > > the above example.
                    >
                    > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
                    >
                    > --
                    > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                    > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                    > time this week!!!!!"

                    This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:

                    \%(\%(\|a\)*\)

                    but

                    \(\(\|a\)*\)

                    works fine. Also

                    \%(\(\|a\)*\)

                    works fine but

                    \(\%(\|a\)*\)

                    crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.

                    Best regards,
                    Marcin

                  • Marcin Szamotulski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                      On 06:28 Mon 29 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                      > On 22:07 Sun 28 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Vim crashes with the following pattern:
                      > > >
                      > > > \%(\%(\|\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                      > > >
                      > > > And it does not crash with
                      > > >
                      > > > \%(\%(\d\|-\|\.\)*\|\*\)
                      > > >
                      > > > It is part of a pattern that matches package (the part matches the
                      > > > version number) inside:
                      > > >
                      > > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11
                      > > >
                      > > > I am not sure why I put "\(\|" inside the pattern, but vim (with -u
                      > > > NONE) crashes when searching for that pattern in a file which contains
                      > > > the above example.
                      > >
                      > > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                      > > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                      > > time this week!!!!!"
                      > >
                      > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                      > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                      > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
                      > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                      >
                      > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                      >
                      > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                      >
                      > but
                      >
                      > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                      >
                      > works fine. Also
                      >
                      > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                      >
                      > works fine but
                      >
                      > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                      >
                      > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Marcin

                      Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                      a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:

                      {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}

                      but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                      pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                      i.e when another {...} is embedded.

                      Bets regards,
                      Marcin

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                        Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                        > On 06:28 Mon 29 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                        > > > I can easily reproduce it, unfortunately.
                        > > >
                        > > > --
                        > > > How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
                        > > > 17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
                        > > > time this week!!!!!"
                        > > >
                        > > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                        > > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                        > > > \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
                        > > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
                        > >
                        > > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                        > >
                        > > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                        > >
                        > > but
                        > >
                        > > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                        > >
                        > > works fine. Also
                        > >
                        > > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                        > >
                        > > works fine but
                        > >
                        > > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                        > >
                        > > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                        > >
                        > > Best regards,
                        > > Marcin
                        >
                        > Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                        > a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:
                        >
                        > {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}
                        >
                        > but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                        > pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                        > i.e when another {...} is embedded.

                        Patch 7.4b.002 changes these kind of things. I could also make it crash
                        with \%(\)*.

                        There was another problem that went unnoticed that only happened for
                        \(\) after the fix and there was only a test for \%(\). So hopefully
                        all similar cases are solved now.

                        36. You miss more than five meals a week downloading the latest games from
                        Apogee.

                      • Marcin Szamotulski
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                          On 16:27 Thu 01 Aug , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                          > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                          > > > This is a simpler pattern that crashes vim:
                          > > >
                          > > > \%(\%(\|a\)*\)
                          > > >
                          > > > but
                          > > >
                          > > > \(\(\|a\)*\)
                          > > >
                          > > > works fine. Also
                          > > >
                          > > > \%(\(\|a\)*\)
                          > > >
                          > > > works fine but
                          > > >
                          > > > \(\%(\|a\)*\)
                          > > >
                          > > > crashes. So there is some problem with the inner \%(\) group.
                          > > >
                          > > > Best regards,
                          > > > Marcin
                          > >
                          > > Today a user of my plugin reported that vim crashes and this is due to
                          > > a similar problem. Now vim crashes with this pattern:
                          > >
                          > > {\%([^{}]*\|{\%([^{}]\)*}\)*}
                          > >
                          > > but changing only the outer \%(...\) to \(...\) fixes the problem. This
                          > > pattern matches what is inside {...} but also will match { {....} },
                          > > i.e when another {...} is embedded.
                          >
                          > Patch 7.4b.002 changes these kind of things. I could also make it crash
                          > with \%(\)*.
                          >
                          > There was another problem that went unnoticed that only happened for
                          > \(\) after the fix and there was only a test for \%(\). So hopefully
                          > all similar cases are solved now.
                          >
                          > --
                          > 36. You miss more than five meals a week downloading the latest games from
                          > Apogee.

                          Thanks, indeed it fixed the issues.

                          Best regards,
                          Marcin