Python3 support is broken on Windows

  • Sergey Khorev
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi,

      Apparently it's not only I who can't get Python3 support working in Windows (at least Win7 x64), neither dynamic nor static one, and neither x86 nor amd64. Here are options I tried:

      All of these builds crash inside pythonXX.dll on "py3 print(1+2)":
      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32

      (64bit) nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
      (64bit) nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32

      mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
      mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32

      mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak ARCH=x86-64 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
      mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak ARCH=x86-64 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32

    • Andrei Olsen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
        On Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:09:38 AM UTC+2, Sergey Khorev wrote:
        > Hi,
        >

        > Apparently it's not only I who can't get Python3 support working in Windows (at least Win7 x64), neither dynamic nor static one, and neither x86 nor amd64. Here are options I tried:
        >

        > All of these builds crash inside pythonXX.dll on "py3 print(1+2)":
        > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > (64bit) nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > (64bit) nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32-x86 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak ARCH=x86-64 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=no PYTHON3_VER=32
        >

        > mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak ARCH=x86-64 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32

        I build regularly with support for both Python 2 and 3 without any problems.

        Make sure you have a recent version of the source and clean up before you build.

        I prefer to build with MingW, but if you wish to build a 64-bit version with Visual C++ 2012 Express:
        1. setup environment

        set CPU=AMD64
        call "%VS110COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x86_amd64

        2. clean up

        nmake -f Make_mvc.mak FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=no NETBEANS=no PYTHON3=d:/Develop/Python32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PYTHON3_VER=32 clean

        3. build

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013

          Make sure you have a recent version of the source and clean up before you build.

          Thanks, there really is no need to waste time teaching me how to build Vim.
          Anyway I found the cause: it is Python that is broken, not Vim. If Python3 is installed properly (as opposed to python3X.dll simply copied over), everything works. Is it worth adding to the documentation or is it only me not liking installers?

        • Andrei Olsen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
            > Anyway I found the cause: it is Python that is broken, not Vim. If Python3 is installed properly (as opposed to python3X.dll simply copied over), everything works.

            You'd need a Python standard library along with your pythonXY.dll, i.e. create a pythonXY.zip with contents of your Python's Lib and DLLs folders.

          • Nikolay Pavlov
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013

              On Jul 25, 2013 9:23 PM, "Sergey Khorev" <sergey.khorev@...> wrote:

              >> Make sure you have a recent version of the source and clean up before you build.
              >>

              > Thanks, there really is no need to waste time teaching me how to build Vim.
              > Anyway I found the cause: it is Python that is broken, not Vim. If Python3 is installed properly (as opposed to python3X.dll simply copied over), everything works. Is it worth adding to the documentation or is it only me not liking installers?

              It crashes on wine while I use msi installer there (and add an item to %PATH% as this installer does not do this). I did not investigate the issue though, just disabled python 3 as it is not much useful for testing my plugins.