Re: Update ftplugin/ocaml.vim

  • Markus Mottl
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 24, 2013
      Thanks, Hirotaka, this was indeed a weird issue that seems fixed now.

      Bram, please disregard the OCaml-ftplugin file I've sent earlier. The
      one I've attached now should have all patches (including the removal
      of the efm-setting).

      Btw., the compiler-settings don't load unless I enter ":compiler
      ocaml". This may be annoying for beginners who might expect things to
      work without having to change their Vim-configuration. What would be
      the best way to set this as an overridable default?

      Regards,
      Markus

      --
      Markus Mottl http://www.ocaml.info markus.mottl@...

    • glts
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 24, 2013
        On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@...> wrote:
        > Btw., the compiler-settings don't load unless I enter ":compiler
        > ocaml". This may be annoying for beginners who might expect things to
        > work without having to change their Vim-configuration. What would be
        > the best way to set this as an overridable default?

        This is not normally done. In fact, the Ada ftplugin is the only one in
        all of Vim's runtime files that sets a compiler for the user.

        Beginners can learn. How about adding a note with a suggested
        autocommand inside the plugin?

        :autocmd FileType ocaml compiler ocaml

        People need to look inside the plugin anyway to find out about the
        mappings that you define for them.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 25, 2013
          Markus Mottl wrote:

          > Thanks, Hirotaka, this was indeed a weird issue that seems fixed now.
          >
          > Bram, please disregard the OCaml-ftplugin file I've sent earlier. The
          > one I've attached now should have all patches (including the removal
          > of the efm-setting).

          Thanks, I'll include this soon.

          > Btw., the compiler-settings don't load unless I enter ":compiler
          > ocaml". This may be annoying for beginners who might expect things to
          > work without having to change their Vim-configuration. What would be
          > the best way to set this as an overridable default?

          If nearly everybody uses the same compiler it would be OK, but if it's
          a user preference then not.

          --
          For a moment, nothing happened.
          Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.

        • Markus Mottl
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 25, 2013
            On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
            > Markus Mottl wrote:
            >> Btw., the compiler-settings don't load unless I enter ":compiler
            >> ocaml". This may be annoying for beginners who might expect things to
            >> work without having to change their Vim-configuration. What would be
            >> the best way to set this as an overridable default?
            >
            > If nearly everybody uses the same compiler it would be OK, but if it's
            > a user preference then not.

            Nearly everybody uses the same compiler. In what standard file should
            the ":compiler ocaml" setting go? In the ftplugin file? Or
            elsewhere?

            Regards,
            Markus

            --
            Markus Mottl http://www.ocaml.info markus.mottl@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
              Markus Mottl wrote:

              > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
              > > Markus Mottl wrote:
              > >> Btw., the compiler-settings don't load unless I enter ":compiler
              > >> ocaml". This may be annoying for beginners who might expect things to
              > >> work without having to change their Vim-configuration. What would be
              > >> the best way to set this as an overridable default?
              > >
              > > If nearly everybody uses the same compiler it would be OK, but if it's
              > > a user preference then not.
              >
              > Nearly everybody uses the same compiler. In what standard file should
              > the ":compiler ocaml" setting go? In the ftplugin file? Or
              > elsewhere?

              The ftplugin. But do it only when the user did not select a compiler
              already for this buffer.

              --
              "Making it up? Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough
              as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

            • Markus Mottl
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                Thanks, Bram, I've updated and attached the OCaml ftplugin file again
                (hopefully for the last time now!).

                Regards,
                Markus