Re: Vim slow after big count insert

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013

      On Jul 23, 2013 9:24 AM, "Gary Johnson" <garyjohn@...> wrote:

      > On 2013-07-23, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
      > >
      > > On Jul 20, 2013 2:28 AM, "Gary Johnson" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On 2013-07-19, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Dimitar,
      > > >
      > > > It would be a big help to those of us with threading mail readers if
      > > > you would be sure that your replies include "Re: " at the start of
      > > > the Subject.
      > >
      > > This has nothing to do with threads. There is a special field added to messages
      > > when you reply that contains unique ID of the message being replied to and
      > > *this* field makes mail readers able to arrange messages correctly.
      >
      > I'm well aware of those fields, and my mail reader (mutt) handles
      > them quite well.  It is also capable of threading messages that lack
      > those fields and have only "Re: " in front of the original subject
      > to go by.  Dimitar's messages did not contain those headers, though,
      > and since his Subject lines didn't even include the "Re: ", I
      > assumed it would be a stretch for his mail client to do any more
      > than allow him to add the "Re: ".

      Good to know something new. One my mailer ignores everything but special header, another splits threads on theme change (I did not realize I was getting separate threads for this very reason though), but does not join messages in threads if they lack field in question. So I assumed this field is required for all mailers without performing more research.

      > Regards,
      > Gary
      >
      > --
      > --
      >
      > ---

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013
        Hi Mike!

        On So, 21 Jul 2013, Mike Williams wrote:

        > On 20/07/2013 10:13, LCD 47 wrote:
        > > I believe this can be fixed with a counter that means something
        > >along the lines of: "this line is longer than &tw, and it has no
        > >breaking point for the first X characters". Then X would be updated
        > >every time more text is appended to that line.

        Are you going to create a patch for that?

        > Yup to all that. And there is another O(n^2) operation is getvcol()
        > rescanning the line after each insert.

        Not only that, but getvcol() is called twice from the edit() function.
        Once from validate_cursor_col() at line 695 and once from
        validate_cursor() at line 725. It seems like that either one of those
        calls could be saved.

        regards,
        Christian
        --