Re: Vim slow after big count insert

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
      On 2013-07-23, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

      > On Jul 20, 2013 2:28 AM, "Gary Johnson" wrote:
      > >
      > > On 2013-07-19, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dimitar,
      > >
      > > It would be a big help to those of us with threading mail readers if
      > > you would be sure that your replies include "Re: " at the start of
      > > the Subject.
      >
      > This has nothing to do with threads. There is a special field added to messages
      > when you reply that contains unique ID of the message being replied to and
      > *this* field makes mail readers able to arrange messages correctly.

      I'm well aware of those fields, and my mail reader (mutt) handles
      them quite well. It is also capable of threading messages that lack
      those fields and have only "Re: " in front of the original subject
      to go by. Dimitar's messages did not contain those headers, though,
      and since his Subject lines didn't even include the "Re: ", I
      assumed it would be a stretch for his mail client to do any more
      than allow him to add the "Re: ".

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Nikolay Pavlov
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013

        On Jul 23, 2013 9:24 AM, "Gary Johnson" <garyjohn@...> wrote:

        > On 2013-07-23, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
        > >
        > > On Jul 20, 2013 2:28 AM, "Gary Johnson" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > On 2013-07-19, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Dimitar,
        > > >
        > > > It would be a big help to those of us with threading mail readers if
        > > > you would be sure that your replies include "Re: " at the start of
        > > > the Subject.
        > >
        > > This has nothing to do with threads. There is a special field added to messages
        > > when you reply that contains unique ID of the message being replied to and
        > > *this* field makes mail readers able to arrange messages correctly.
        >
        > I'm well aware of those fields, and my mail reader (mutt) handles
        > them quite well.  It is also capable of threading messages that lack
        > those fields and have only "Re: " in front of the original subject
        > to go by.  Dimitar's messages did not contain those headers, though,
        > and since his Subject lines didn't even include the "Re: ", I
        > assumed it would be a stretch for his mail client to do any more
        > than allow him to add the "Re: ".

        Good to know something new. One my mailer ignores everything but special header, another splits threads on theme change (I did not realize I was getting separate threads for this very reason though), but does not join messages in threads if they lack field in question. So I assumed this field is required for all mailers without performing more research.

        > Regards,
        > Gary
        >
        > --
        > --
        >
        > ---

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013
          Hi Mike!

          On So, 21 Jul 2013, Mike Williams wrote:

          > On 20/07/2013 10:13, LCD 47 wrote:
          > > I believe this can be fixed with a counter that means something
          > >along the lines of: "this line is longer than &tw, and it has no
          > >breaking point for the first X characters". Then X would be updated
          > >every time more text is appended to that line.

          Are you going to create a patch for that?

          > Yup to all that. And there is another O(n^2) operation is getvcol()
          > rescanning the line after each insert.

          Not only that, but getvcol() is called twice from the edit() function.
          Once from validate_cursor_col() at line 695 and once from
          validate_cursor() at line 725. It seems like that either one of those
          calls could be saved.

          regards,
          Christian
          --