Re: :25 does not save cursor position to jump list

  • glts
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Tony Mechelynck
      <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > On 07/21/13 06:12, Dan wrote:
      >>
      >> These commands perform the same function:
      >> 25G
      >> 25gg
      >> :25<CR>
      >>
      >> But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the
      >> last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
      >>
      >> For example, with the following buffer:
      >>
      >> 1 abc
      >> 2 def
      >> 3 ghi
      >>
      >> Entering the following commands:
      >> :1<CR>
      >> :2<CR>
      >> :3<CR>
      >> <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
      >> <C-O>
      >>
      >> Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the
      >> <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.
      >>

      > I confirm this in gvim 7.4a.035 (Huge); however, :$<CR> (the same command,
      > but with $ as a line number) _does_ update the jumplist.

      Tony, :$, like :25, does not add an entry to the jump list.

      Suppose you are on the first line and move around as follows.

      3G add line 1 to the jump list
      :$
      4G add last line to the jump list
      5G add line 4 to the jump list

      Then CTRL-O will bring you back to lines 4, last, and 1 as expected.

      David

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
        Dan wrote:

        > These commands perform the same function:
        > 25G
        > 25gg
        > :25<CR>
        >
        > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
        >
        > For example, with the following buffer:
        >
        > 1 abc
        > 2 def
        > 3 ghi
        >
        > Entering the following commands:
        > :1<CR>
        > :2<CR>
        > :3<CR>
        > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
        > <C-O>
        >
        > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present
        > the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

        This is intentional.

        --
        A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time