Re: :25 does not save cursor position to jump list

  • glts
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 1:30 AM
      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM, Dan <davydovdan@...> wrote:
      > These commands perform the same function:
      > 25G
      > 25gg
      > :25<CR>
      >
      > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
      >
      > For example, with the following buffer:
      >
      > 1 abc
      > 2 def
      > 3 ghi
      >
      > Entering the following commands:
      > :1<CR>
      > :2<CR>
      > :3<CR>
      > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
      > <C-O>
      >
      > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

      This is documented. ":h jump-motions":

      > A "jump" is one of the following commands: "'", "`", "G", "/", "?",
      > "n", "N", "%", "(", ")", "[[", "]]", "{", "}", ":s", ":tag", "L", "M",
      > "H" and the commands that start editing a new file.

    • glts
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21 3:07 AM
        On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        > On 07/21/13 06:12, Dan wrote:
        >>
        >> These commands perform the same function:
        >> 25G
        >> 25gg
        >> :25<CR>
        >>
        >> But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the
        >> last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
        >>
        >> For example, with the following buffer:
        >>
        >> 1 abc
        >> 2 def
        >> 3 ghi
        >>
        >> Entering the following commands:
        >> :1<CR>
        >> :2<CR>
        >> :3<CR>
        >> <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
        >> <C-O>
        >>
        >> Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the
        >> <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.
        >>

        > I confirm this in gvim 7.4a.035 (Huge); however, :$<CR> (the same command,
        > but with $ as a line number) _does_ update the jumplist.

        Tony, :$, like :25, does not add an entry to the jump list.

        Suppose you are on the first line and move around as follows.

        3G add line 1 to the jump list
        :$
        4G add last line to the jump list
        5G add line 4 to the jump list

        Then CTRL-O will bring you back to lines 4, last, and 1 as expected.

        David

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21 3:49 AM
          Dan wrote:

          > These commands perform the same function:
          > 25G
          > 25gg
          > :25<CR>
          >
          > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
          >
          > For example, with the following buffer:
          >
          > 1 abc
          > 2 def
          > 3 ghi
          >
          > Entering the following commands:
          > :1<CR>
          > :2<CR>
          > :3<CR>
          > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
          > <C-O>
          >
          > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present
          > the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

          This is intentional.

          --
          A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time