Re: :25 does not save cursor position to jump list

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
      On 07/21/13 06:12, Dan wrote:
      > These commands perform the same function:
      > 25G
      > 25gg
      > :25<CR>
      >
      > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
      >
      > For example, with the following buffer:
      >
      > 1 abc
      > 2 def
      > 3 ghi
      >
      > Entering the following commands:
      > :1<CR>
      > :2<CR>
      > :3<CR>
      > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
      > <C-O>
      >
      > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

      I confirm this in gvim 7.4a.035 (Huge); however, :$<CR> (the same
      command, but with $ as a line number) _does_ update the jumplist.

      Obey all traffic laws.

    • glts
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
        On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM, Dan <davydovdan@...> wrote:
        > These commands perform the same function:
        > 25G
        > 25gg
        > :25<CR>
        >
        > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
        >
        > For example, with the following buffer:
        >
        > 1 abc
        > 2 def
        > 3 ghi
        >
        > Entering the following commands:
        > :1<CR>
        > :2<CR>
        > :3<CR>
        > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
        > <C-O>
        >
        > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

        This is documented. ":h jump-motions":

        > A "jump" is one of the following commands: "'", "`", "G", "/", "?",
        > "n", "N", "%", "(", ")", "[[", "]]", "{", "}", ":s", ":tag", "L", "M",
        > "H" and the commands that start editing a new file.

      • glts
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
          On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > On 07/21/13 06:12, Dan wrote:
          >>
          >> These commands perform the same function:
          >> 25G
          >> 25gg
          >> :25<CR>
          >>
          >> But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the
          >> last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
          >>
          >> For example, with the following buffer:
          >>
          >> 1 abc
          >> 2 def
          >> 3 ghi
          >>
          >> Entering the following commands:
          >> :1<CR>
          >> :2<CR>
          >> :3<CR>
          >> <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
          >> <C-O>
          >>
          >> Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present the
          >> <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.
          >>

          > I confirm this in gvim 7.4a.035 (Huge); however, :$<CR> (the same command,
          > but with $ as a line number) _does_ update the jumplist.

          Tony, :$, like :25, does not add an entry to the jump list.

          Suppose you are on the first line and move around as follows.

          3G add line 1 to the jump list
          :$
          4G add last line to the jump list
          5G add line 4 to the jump list

          Then CTRL-O will bring you back to lines 4, last, and 1 as expected.

          David

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
            Dan wrote:

            > These commands perform the same function:
            > 25G
            > 25gg
            > :25<CR>
            >
            > But the first two save the cursor position to the jump list, whereas the last command does not, which I feel is inconsistent and a bug.
            >
            > For example, with the following buffer:
            >
            > 1 abc
            > 2 def
            > 3 ghi
            >
            > Entering the following commands:
            > :1<CR>
            > :2<CR>
            > :3<CR>
            > <C-O> (command that moves cursor to previous line in jump list)
            > <C-O>
            >
            > Should move you to lines 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 respectively, but at present
            > the <C-O> commands do NOT move you back to lines 2 and 1.

            This is intentional.

            --
            A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time