$MYVIMRC not set

  • Dimitar DIMITROV
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2013
      Hi,

      After reading the docs about -u, I can't see it mentioned that in that case $MYVIMRC wouldn't be setup.
      But it isn't.
      Try with vim -u ~/.vimrc

      Regards

      Dimitar

      ---
      GPG Key: 2048R/160C6FA8 2012-10-11 Dimitar Dimitrov (kurkale6ka) <mitkofr@...>

    • James McCoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2013

        On Jul 19, 2013 9:23 AM, "Dimitar DIMITROV" <mitkofr@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > After reading the docs about -u, I can't see it mentioned that in that case $MYVIMRC wouldn't be setup.
        > But it isn't.
        > Try with vim -u ~/.vimrc

        This part of the startup process is described under ":help vimrc":

        If Vim was started with "-u filename", the file "filename" is used. All following initializations until 4. are skipped.

        $MYVIMRC is set in step 3c, so it is skipped.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2013
          Dimitar Dimitrov wrote:

          > After reading the docs about -u, I can't see it mentioned that in that case $MYVIMRC wouldn't be setup.
          > But it isn't.
          > Try with vim -u ~/.vimrc

          I suppose it's useful to add a remark about this in the docs.

          --
          Contrary to popular belief, it's often your clothing that gets promoted, not
          you.