svn syntax with localization?

  • studog
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
      This morning I noticed that the svn syntax file isn't quite correct; in a few places the regex
      ^--.*--$
      is used to find the commit message delimiter.

      I checked the source code for svn 1.8.0 and the delimiter is exactly
      --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
      or its localized form.

      I'd like to update the regex so it's accurate, but I'd need to handle all the languages. Is it possible to support localization within a syntax file? A quick look at
      :he :syn
      didn't reveal anything.

      Hm, on reread it looks like I could just paste in a number of start regexes, one per language. If that's okay I'll do up a patch shortly.

      ...Stu

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
        On 11:15 Thu 18 Jul , studog wrote:
        > This morning I noticed that the svn syntax file isn't quite correct; in a few places the regex
        > ^--.*--$
        > is used to find the commit message delimiter.
        >
        > I checked the source code for svn 1.8.0 and the delimiter is exactly
        > --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
        > or its localized form.
        >
        > I'd like to update the regex so it's accurate, but I'd need to handle all the languages. Is it possible to support localization within a syntax file? A quick look at
        > :he :syn
        > didn't reveal anything.
        >
        > Hm, on reread it looks like I could just paste in a number of start regexes, one per language. If that's okay I'll do up a patch shortly.
        >
        > ...Stu
        >
        > --
        > --
        >
        > ---

        Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
        idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:

        ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$

        Or something of this sort.

        Best regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
          On Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:15:22 PM UTC-5, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > On 11:15 Thu 18 Jul , studog wrote:
          >
          > > This morning I noticed that the svn syntax file isn't quite correct; in a few places the regex
          >
          > > ^--.*--$
          >
          > > is used to find the commit message delimiter.
          >

          > > I checked the source code for svn 1.8.0 and the delimiter is exactly
          >
          > > --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
          >
          > > or its localized form.
          >

          > Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
          >
          > idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
          >

          > ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$
          >

          > Or something of this sort.

          But then if the localized form contains any accents or other non-ASCII characters, it won't match. And perhaps (I don't know) there might even be localized messages with completely foreign scripts. I don't think you can do much better than .\+. Maybe you could at least disallow more than two '-' characters at the beginning and end and require SOMETHING between the -- characters:

          ^---\@!.*-\@!.--$

        • Marcin Szamotulski
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
            On 14:49 Thu 18 Jul , Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:15:22 PM UTC-5, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            > > On 11:15 Thu 18 Jul , studog wrote:
            > >
            > > > This morning I noticed that the svn syntax file isn't quite correct; in a few places the regex
            > >
            > > > ^--.*--$
            > >
            > > > is used to find the commit message delimiter.
            > >

            > > > I checked the source code for svn 1.8.0 and the delimiter is exactly
            > >
            > > > --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
            > >
            > > > or its localized form.
            > >

            > > Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
            > >
            > > idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
            > >

            > > ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$
            > >

            > > Or something of this sort.
            > >

            > But then if the localized form contains any accents or other non-ASCII characters, it won't match. And perhaps (I don't know) there might even be localized messages with completely foreign scripts. I don't think you can do much better than .\+. Maybe you could at least disallow more than two '-' characters at the beginning and end and require SOMETHING between the -- characters:
            >
            > ^---\@!.*-\@!.--$

            Indeed. There might be a way though by using ":help \[==]", but
            I haven't used these patterns much.

            Best,
            Marcin

          • studog
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
              On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:15:22 PM UTC-4, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              > Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
              > idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
              >
              > ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$

              No, I mean:

              syn region svnRegion
              start="^--This line, and those below, will be ignored--$"
              start="^--<German language text>--$"
              start="^--<French language text>--$"
              end="\%$" contains=ALL

              since syn region can take multiple start conditions.

              ...Stu

            • Ingo Karkat
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 18, 2013
                On 19-Jul-2013 05:57 +0200, studog wrote:

                > On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:15:22 PM UTC-4, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                >> Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
                >> idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
                >>
                >> ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$
                >
                > No, I mean:
                >
                > syn region svnRegion
                > start="^--This line, and those below, will be ignored--$"
                > start="^--<German language text>--$"
                > start="^--<French language text>--$"
                > end="\%$" contains=ALL
                >
                > since syn region can take multiple start conditions.

                Yes, I would go with that (though it's some effort to maintain). I
                remember seeing some syntax file that did this (but can't find the
                reference right now).

                -- regards, ingo

              • Jakson Alves de Aquino
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                  On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Ingo Karkat <swdev@...> wrote:
                  > On 19-Jul-2013 05:57 +0200, studog wrote:
                  >
                  >> On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:15:22 PM UTC-4, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                  >>> Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
                  >>> idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
                  >>>
                  >>> ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$
                  >>
                  >> No, I mean:
                  >>
                  >> syn region svnRegion
                  >> start="^--This line, and those below, will be ignored--$"
                  >> start="^--<German language text>--$"
                  >> start="^--<French language text>--$"
                  >> end="\%$" contains=ALL
                  >>
                  >> since syn region can take multiple start conditions.
                  >
                  > Yes, I would go with that (though it's some effort to maintain). I
                  > remember seeing some syntax file that did this (but can't find the
                  > reference right now).

                  I've write a script that get the translations of diffutils:

                  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/7H_JVwx8H5U

                  --
                  Jakson Alves de Aquino
                  Federal University of CearĂ¡

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                    Ingo Karkat wrote:

                    > On 19-Jul-2013 05:57 +0200, studog wrote:
                    >
                    > > On Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:15:22 PM UTC-4, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                    > >> Writting a pattern which has to match all the languages is not the best
                    > >> idea. But maybe refining the pattern would help:
                    > >>
                    > >> ^--[a-zA-Z ,^-]\{-}--$
                    > >
                    > > No, I mean:
                    > >
                    > > syn region svnRegion
                    > > start="^--This line, and those below, will be ignored--$"
                    > > start="^--<German language text>--$"
                    > > start="^--<French language text>--$"
                    > > end="\%$" contains=ALL
                    > >
                    > > since syn region can take multiple start conditions.
                    >
                    > Yes, I would go with that (though it's some effort to maintain). I
                    > remember seeing some syntax file that did this (but can't find the
                    > reference right now).

                    Does the pattern actually match in the wrong place?

                    Translations will change over time, so the syntax file gets outdated.
                    It's only worth the effort if we actually need to match the text to
                    avoid highlighting the wrong line.

                    --
                    A consultant is a person who takes your money and annoys your employees while
                    tirelessly searching for the best way to extend the consulting contract.

                  • Ben Fritz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                      On Friday, July 19, 2013 8:59:38 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Does the pattern actually match in the wrong place?

                      TortoiseSVN generates commit comments like this whenever you merge:

                      Merged revision(s) {range} from {branch path}:

                      change 1 description

                      change 2 description

                      etc.

                      Actually, I had thought those '.' characters where '-' characters. I guess I was wrong; so I haven't seen it in real life. But I can easily imagine a person typing a similar commit message using '-' instead. Or some SVN client could do it automatically.

                      The pattern used right now would incorrectly match on the -------- separators.

                      I kind of like the pattern I proposed, to only match lines starting with exactly two '-' and ending with exactly two more '-' characters with at least one character in between.

                      ^---\@!.*-\@!.--$

                      Possibly this could be optimized some.

                    • Dmitry Vasiliev
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
                        On 07/18/2013 08:15 PM, studog wrote:
                        > I checked the source code for svn 1.8.0 and the delimiter is exactly
                        > --This line, and those below, will be ignored-- or its localized
                        > form.
                        >
                        > I'd like to update the regex so it's accurate, but I'd need to handle
                        > all the languages. Is it possible to support localization within a
                        > syntax file? A quick look at :he :syn didn't reveal anything.

                        Why exactly do you want to change the regexp? If I recall correctly it
                        was simplified precisely because the delimiter text was changed.
                        Probably it can be changed to something like ^--[^-]\+--$ but I really
                        don't think that all the possible delimiter texts that SVN have ever had
                        should be added.

                        --
                        Dmitry Vasiliev <dima at hlabs.org>
                        http://hlabs.org

                      • studog
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 22, 2013
                          On Friday, July 19, 2013 6:14:18 PM UTC-4, Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
                          > On 07/18/2013 08:15 PM, studog wrote:
                          > > I'd like to update the regex so it's accurate,

                          > Why exactly do you want to change the regexp?

                          It's not accurate.

                          > If I recall correctly it
                          > was simplified precisely because the delimiter text was changed.
                          > Probably it can be changed to something like ^--[^-]\+--$ but I really
                          > don't think that all the possible delimiter texts that SVN have ever had
                          > should be added.

                          I think that's exactly what should happen. I saw in passing just now that the diff syntax file is doing the same thing.

                          ...Stu

                        • Dmitry Vasiliev
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 25, 2013
                            On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:16:39 AM UTC+2, studog wrote:
                            > On Friday, July 19, 2013 6:14:18 PM UTC-4, Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
                            > > On 07/18/2013 08:15 PM, studog wrote:
                            > > > I'd like to update the regex so it's accurate,
                            >
                            > > Why exactly do you want to change the regexp?
                            >
                            > It's not accurate.

                            I think accuracy is not the right reason for changing the code which have no complaints for 7 years. Especially when this change will make maintenance harder. So if accuracy is the only reason it's better to not touch this code.

                            > > If I recall correctly it
                            > > was simplified precisely because the delimiter text was changed.
                            > > Probably it can be changed to something like ^--[^-]\+--$ but I really
                            > > don't think that all the possible delimiter texts that SVN have ever had
                            > > should be added.
                            >
                            > I think that's exactly what should happen. I saw in passing just now that the diff syntax file is doing the same thing.

                            I don't think diff.vim is the correct comparison. In the diff output there are no any special formats for information messages so all the needed messages should be added as patterns. But in version control systems there are almost always some special formats for commit descriptions. For example for Svn there's "--A Message--" delimiter and Git uses # to comment out all unrelated to the commit message text.

                            --
                            Dmitry Vasiliev

                          • studog
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 25, 2013
                              On Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:15:05 PM UTC-4, Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
                              > I think accuracy is not the right reason for changing the code which have no complaints for 7 years. Especially when this change will make maintenance harder. So if accuracy is the only reason it's better to not touch this code.

                              I often quote the original log message when merging, usually by doing
                              --- Start here ---
                              --- End ---
                              which is incorrectly highlighted by the existing svn.vim.

                              So... it's wrong. I'd like it to be right.

                              > I don't think diff.vim is the correct comparison. In the diff output there are no any special formats for information messages so all the needed messages should be added as patterns.

                              Which is exactly the same situation as svn. There are no special formats for the delimiter message, so all the needed messages should be added as patterns.

                              I cloned your repository, updated the svn.vim syntax file, and have been running it for a few days. It works great. Patch attached.

                              I added all the translations svn-1.8.0 is currently using; there's one language they haven't gotten the delimiter translated for yet. Maintenance will consist of trawling the older svn sources for other delimiter messages, and then adding an update now and again when svn adds an update. I don't think it's going to be very often at all.

                              ...Stu

                            • studog
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 25, 2013
                                On Friday, July 19, 2013 9:59:38 AM UTC-4, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                > Does the pattern actually match in the wrong place?

                                Of course it does, because the pattern is wrong. See my other reply just now.

                                > Translations will change over time, so the syntax file gets outdated.
                                > It's only worth the effort if we actually need to match the text to
                                > avoid highlighting the wrong line.

                                It's not that much effort, and I'll do it. Because the wrong line highlights for me every time I do a merge.

                                Look at it from another angle: the top part of the svn-commit.tmp file is user input. The highlighting must be accurate to be useful; to show the user when they've accidentally typed in the delimiter causing svn to truncate their log message. I had to take a chance to see if I was right or wrong about whether my log message would truncate.

                                ...Stu

                              • Dmitry Vasiliev
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 29, 2013
                                  On Friday, July 26, 2013 5:11:56 AM UTC+2, studog wrote:
                                  > I cloned your repository, updated the svn.vim syntax file, and have been running it for a few days. It works great. Patch attached.

                                  BTW, can you send it as a pull request?

                                  > I added all the translations svn-1.8.0 is currently using; there's one language they haven't gotten the delimiter translated for yet. Maintenance will consist of trawling the older svn sources for other delimiter messages, and then adding an update now and again when svn adds an update. I don't think it's going to be very often at all.

                                  There are some encoding errors in your patch - some of the characters just replaced with '?'.

                                  And actually I still think that it can be done in a simpler way. For example by searching for the last '^--.*--$' line in the file.

                                  --
                                  Dmitry Vasiliev

                                • studog
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 29, 2013
                                    On Monday, July 29, 2013 7:55:47 AM UTC-4, Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
                                    > BTW, can you send it as a pull request?

                                    Not at the moment; the git respository is in a VM on my laptop which isn't usually publically available. I'll look at setting up on github.

                                    Also, I am waiting until I've pulled all the translations from the svn source. I'm though the 0.x.x releases so far.

                                    But yes, I'll send a PR when the time comes. I did a patch just now so I could get a result out quickly, people could see exactly what I was talking about, and Bram likes patches.

                                    > There are some encoding errors in your patch - some of the characters just replaced with '?'.

                                    That's... odd. I attached the patch file instead of cutting and pasting to avoid encoding issues.

                                    > And actually I still think that it can be done in a simpler way. For example by searching for the last '^--.*--$' line in the file.

                                    That is an interesting idea. It does make the file somewhat easier to maintain again, but, it's still wrong. I'll have to double check the svn source, but I think they are matching the first instance of the exact string they expect. So the double-dash regex would have to match the first instance of double-dashes, which would still highlight my log messages incorrectly.

                                    I really don't think doing the correct matching is much work. All the 0.x.x releases have had only the one english string, which is still the same string in the current release. I expect I'll find that the translations were added once, and have used the same strings all the way though. (Which means my patch would be the finished result.)

                                    The only work thereafter would be pulling in the new translations as they occur, which I can do.

                                    ...Stu