Re: Problems with "make autoconf"

  • bjorn.winckler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2013
      On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:18:33 PM UTC+2, James McCoy wrote:
      > On Jul 17, 2013 11:04 AM, "björn" <bjorn.w...@...> wrote:
      > > First of all I do not understand why this target is called when I specify another one - am I missing something?
      > There is an "include auto/config.mk" statement in the makefile. This causes make to check whether the auto/config.mk is out of date.

      OK, that makes sense I suppose. This causes the problem that it is impossible to generate "auto/configure" from scratch (i.e. without a valid auto/configure script already being available). It is also bizarre that upon calling "make autoconf" the first thing that happens is that "auto/configure" runs, only to then be replaced when autoconf subsequently is called.

      My particular scenario is that when I pull from mainline Vim into the MacVim repo there are often conflicts in "auto/configure" -- if I then try "make autoconf" to generate a new "auto/configure" it fails because "auto/configure" contains conflict markers (which git adds to show where the conflicts are).

      It would be nice to be able to be able to run autoconf without already having to have the file that is supposed to be generated in place. Is there a way that this can be supported? (I can definitely work around this, but the whole process just seems a bit counterintuitive and likely to keep tripping people up.)