Re: [request] Events for some internal function calls

  • curist
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
      On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:06:26 PM UTC+8, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Curist wrote:
      > > Say, delete(), mkdir(), writefile(), and other functions that will
      > > alter file system state I'm not aware of.
      > >
      > > Emitting ShellCmdPost or even a new event would makes life easier.
      > This will cause a chicken-egg problem. These functions are supposed to
      > be "low level", and not have any side effects. If autocommands trigger
      > for these you might mess up the plugin that's using them. Handling side
      > effects of autocommands is already too complicated.
      > --
      > Female engineers become irresistible at the age of consent and remain that
      > way until about thirty minutes after their clinical death. Longer if it's a
      > warm day.
      > (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

      Is there any way to work around it?

      Previously the 'extend' bug can override built-in functions,
      which can alter things at higher level.
      (see here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/3d-hgadlqvQ )

      And for the autocmd messing plugin part, invent another event will do it, right?
      That may be a bit hackish, error-prone, complicate things unnecessary.
      Okay, guess that's not a good idea.