Issue 151 in vim: file management (copy/move) is broken on windows (netrw)

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 151 by roblovski@...: file management (copy/move) is broken
      on windows (netrw)

      In a netrw listing:
      mt to set target dir
      mf to mark file to copy or move
      mc to copy, or mm to move

      For me, this always fails if moving a file or directory, or copying a
      directory. It only ever works when copying a file, and even then it
      sometimes fails.

      When it fails, the error is

      **error** (netrw) tried using g:netrw_localcopycmd<cmd /c copy>; it doesn't
      work!

      or

      **error** (netrw) tried using g:netrw_localmovecmd<cmd /c move>; it doesn't
      work!

      gVim 7.4a binary release, Windows 7

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2013
        Updates:
        Owner: drc...@...

        Comment #1 on issue 151 by drc...@...: file management
        (copy/move) is broken on windows (netrw)

        You need to find commands on your system that will copy and move files.
        cmd /c copy -and- cmd /c move worked under windows xp. Just set
        g:netrw_localcopycmd and g:netrw_localmovecmd to whatever works for you.

        issue notifications to this address.

      • Enno
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2014
          Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 20:22:59 UTC+1, v...@... a écrit :
          > Updates:

          > Owner: drc...@...
          >

          > Comment #1 on issue 151 by drc...@...: file management
          >
          > (copy/move) is broken on windows (netrw)
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=151
          >

          > You need to find commands on your system that will copy and move files.
          >
          > cmd /c copy -and- cmd /c move worked under windows xp. Just set
          >
          > g:netrw_localcopycmd and g:netrw_localmovecmd to whatever works for you.
          >

          > --

          > issue notifications to this address.
          >
          > You may adjust your notification preferences at:
          >
          > https://code.google.com/hosting/settings

          I think more foolproof would be to use the COMSPEC environment variable. Something like this:

          s:cmd=$COMSPEC." /c "

          let g:netrw_localcopycmd=s:cmd."copy"
          let g:netrw_localmovecmd=s:cmd."move"
          let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."mkdir"
          let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."rmdir"

        • Enno
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2014
            Le jeudi 3 avril 2014 18:57:12 UTC+2, Enno a écrit :
            > Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 20:22:59 UTC+1, v...@... a écrit :
            >
            > > Updates:

            > > Owner: drc...@...
            >

            > > Comment #1 on issue 151 by drc...@...: file management
            >

            > > (copy/move) is broken on windows (netrw)
            >

            > > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=151
            >

            > > You need to find commands on your system that will copy and move files.
            >

            > > cmd /c copy -and- cmd /c move worked under windows xp. Just set
            >

            > > g:netrw_localcopycmd and g:netrw_localmovecmd to whatever works for you.
            >

            > > --

            > > issue notifications to this address.
            >

            > > You may adjust your notification preferences at:
            >

            > > https://code.google.com/hosting/settings
            >

            > I think more foolproof would be to use the COMSPEC environment variable. Something like this:
            >

            > s:cmd=$COMSPEC." /c "
            >

            > let g:netrw_localcopycmd=s:cmd."copy"
            >
            > let g:netrw_localmovecmd=s:cmd."move"
            >
            > let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."mkdir"
            >
            > let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."rmdir"

            Strangely, now it says, when trying to copy,

            **error** (netrw) g:netrw_localcopycmd<C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c copy> not executable on your system, aborting

          • Charles Campbell
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2014
              Enno wrote:
              > Le jeudi 3 avril 2014 18:57:12 UTC+2, Enno a écrit :
              >> Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 20:22:59 UTC+1, v...@... a écrit :
              >>
              >>> Updates:
              >>> Owner: drc...@...
              >>> Comment #1 on issue 151 by drc...@...: file management
              >>> (copy/move) is broken on windows (netrw)
              >>> http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=151
              >>> You need to find commands on your system that will copy and move files.
              >>> cmd /c copy -and- cmd /c move worked under windows xp. Just set
              >>> g:netrw_localcopycmd and g:netrw_localmovecmd to whatever works for you.
              >>> --
              >>> issue notifications to this address.
              >>> You may adjust your notification preferences at:
              >>> https://code.google.com/hosting/settings
              >>

              >> I think more foolproof would be to use the COMSPEC environment variable. Something like this:
              >>

              >> s:cmd=$COMSPEC." /c "
              >>

              >> let g:netrw_localcopycmd=s:cmd."copy"
              >>
              >> let g:netrw_localmovecmd=s:cmd."move"
              >>
              >> let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."mkdir"
              >>
              >> let g:netrw_localmkdir=s:cmd."rmdir"
              > Strangely, now it says, when trying to copy,
              >
              > **error** (netrw) g:netrw_localcopycmd<C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c copy> not executable on your system, aborting

              Please try v152 of netrw; its using the COMSPEC environment variable
              (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).

              The reason why you got the message you got is that netrw found that
              trying to execute "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c" failed, as I'd expect
              it would. That's all one command, by the way, with a ".exe" embedded
              internally.

              Regards,
              C Campbell