Re: Issue 150 in vim: same normal cmds on linux and windows

  • Zulox4
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
      On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:25:33 PM UTC+2, v...@... wrote:
      > Comment #2 on issue 150 by fritzoph...@...: same normal cmds on linux
      >
      > and windows
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=150
      >

      > I can't reproduce the problem. On Windows 7.3.822 using your command, I get
      >
      > the same text you got in Linux.
      >

      > Actually, you missed a step. You need to set autoindent before running your
      >
      > command.
      >

      > Also, your result depends on either the value of 'textwidth', or the window
      >
      > size if 'textwidth' is zero. Are you sure your 'textwidth' setting is the
      >
      > same in each instance? How about the window size? What does ":set columns?"
      >
      > say in each of your Vims?
      >

      > That's a clever way to add a hanging indent, by the way. I'll need to
      >
      > remember that.
      >

      > But note, maybe you just want to set up 'formatlistpat' instead, and set
      >
      > fo+=n.
      >

      > --

      > issue notifications to this address.
      >
      > You may adjust your notification preferences at:
      >
      > https://code.google.com/hosting/settings

      I tested on win7 vim 7.3.762 and 7.3.960 and i have same problem.
      For the output file, after the normal commnd, only linux file is good (the target file, also for windows version) fileoutlinux, was attached.
      The fileoutwin32 ( 704 bytes ) is a wrong file that is was generated with vim 7.4a.023. I tested also with 7.3.960 and 7.3.762 on windows, and have same wrong result. In all cases I used the vimrc, I pasted, few hours ago.
      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
        Comment #3 on issue 150 by Zulolox4...@...: same normal cmds on linux
        and windows

        I tested with vim 7.3.822 on win7 this config:
        :ver
        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jul 17 2013 03:39:13)
        MS-Windows 32-bit console version
        Included patches: 1-822
        Compiled by g_user7@win7-PC
        Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
        +cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
        +cmdline_info +comments
        +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff
        +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi
        +file_in_path
        +find_in_path +float +folding -footer -gettext -hangul_input +iconv/dyn
        +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
        +listcmds
        +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
        +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg +path_extra -perl
        +persistent_undo
        -postscript +printer +profile -python -python3 +quickfix +reltime
        +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime
        +statusline
        -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl
        -tgetent -termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands
        +vertsplit
        +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu
        +windows +writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save -xpm_w32
        system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
        2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
        user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
        2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
        Compilation: cl -c /W3 /nologo -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWIN32
        -DFEAT_CSCOPE -DWINVER=0x0400 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 /Fo.\ObjCi386/
        /Ox /GL -DNDEBUG
        /Zl /MT -DFEAT_MBYTE -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DFEAT_HUGE /Fd.\ObjCi386/ /Zi
        Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:console /LTCG:STATUS oldnames.lib
        kernel32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib ole32.lib
        uuid.lib /ma
        chine:i386 /nodefaultlib libcmt.lib user32.lib /PDB:vim.pdb
        -debug

        vimrc file used:

        " http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#vimrc

        set nocompatible " use vim defaults
        set scrolloff=3 " keep 3 lines when scrolling
        set ai " set auto-indenting on for programming

        set showcmd " display incomplete commands
        set nobackup " do not keep a backup file
        set number " show line numbers
        set ruler " show the current row and column

        set hlsearch " highlight searches
        set incsearch " do incremental searching
        set showmatch " jump to matches when entering regexp
        set ignorecase " ignore case when searching
        set smartcase " no ignorecase if Uppercase char present

        set visualbell t_vb= " turn off error beep/flash
        set novisualbell " turn off visual bell

        set backspace=indent,eol,start " make that backspace key work the way it
        should

        syntax on " turn syntax highlighting on by default
        filetype on " detect type of file
        filetype indent on " load indent file for specific file type

        set t_RV= " http://bugs.debian.org/608242,
        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/9770ea844cec3282

        After executed the vim normal command on fileinwin32 input file:

        :%no<S-Tab>!Y6r gw}Vp<CR>

        with the config above, in last paragraph of buffer, the word "BL" is
        repeated on the next line and "connotation" is pushed on next line.

        Also, I used this line windows command to start vim:
        vim -u NONE -U NONE fileinwin32
        In this case the paragraphs are not indented, but word "BL," is added,
        after execution of vim normal command, and the word "BL," appears two times.

        issue notifications to this address.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
          On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:29:19 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

          > I tested with vim 7.3.822 on win7 this config:
          >
          > :ver
          >
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jul 17 2013 03:39:13)
          >
          > MS-Windows 32-bit console version
          >
          > Included patches: 1-822
          >
          > Compiled by g_user7@win7-PC
          >
          > Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
          >
          > [SNIP]
          >
          > vimrc file used:
          >

          > " http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#vimrc
          >
          > set nocompatible " use vim defaults
          > set scrolloff=3 " keep 3 lines when scrolling
          > set ai " set auto-indenting on for programming
          >
          > set showcmd " display incomplete commands
          > set nobackup " do not keep a backup file
          > set number " show line numbers
          > set ruler " show the current row and column
          >
          > set hlsearch " highlight searches
          > set incsearch " do incremental searching
          > set showmatch " jump to matches when entering regexp
          > set ignorecase " ignore case when searching
          > set smartcase " no ignorecase if Uppercase char present
          >
          > set visualbell t_vb= " turn off error beep/flash
          > set novisualbell " turn off visual bell
          >
          > set backspace=indent,eol,start " make that backspace key work the way it should
          >
          > syntax on " turn syntax highlighting on by default
          > filetype on " detect type of file
          > filetype indent on " load indent file for specific file type
          >
          > set t_RV= " http://bugs.debian.org/608242, http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/9770ea844cec3282

          I copied this .vimrc into %TEMP%\test_vimrc.vim and ran Vim using:

          vim -N --noplugin -u %TEMP%\test_vimrc.vim -U NONE -i NONE

          > After executed the vim normal command on fileinwin32 input file:
          >
          > :%no<S-Tab>!Y6r gw}Vp<CR>
          >
          > with the config above, in last paragraph of buffer, the word "BL" is
          > repeated on the next line and "connotation" is pushed on next line.

          I could not reproduce the problem. "BL" stays on the same line when I do
          it. I realized my terminal window was set to 25 characters in height, 80
          characters in width, so I resized to 80 high and 160 wide as you stated
          you used, and still I get the same result. "BL" stays on the same line,
          lines only get re-indented.

          > Also, I used this line windows command to start vim:
          > vim -u NONE -U NONE fileinwin32
          > In this case the paragraphs are not indented,

          Because 'autoindent' is not set.

          > but word "BL," is added,
          > after execution of vim normal command, and the word "BL," appears two times.

          When I do this, using vim -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE, I get no change in
          the text at all. Somehow, and I have no idea why, gw} for you is
          acting as if 'textwidth' or 'wrapmargin' is set to some value which puts
          "BL," past the boundary where Vim will wrap lines. As far as I can tell,
          unless you've accidentally omitted some of your config, you do not set
          these values.

          What does :scriptnames show after you launch Vim and your command fails?

        • Zulox4
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
            On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:47:09 PM UTC+2, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:29:19 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
            >

            > > I tested with vim 7.3.822 on win7 this config:
            >

            > > :ver
            >

            > > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jul 17 2013 03:39:13)
            >

            > > MS-Windows 32-bit console version
            >

            > > Included patches: 1-822
            >

            > > Compiled by g_user7@win7-PC
            >

            > > Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            >

            > > [SNIP]
            >

            > > vimrc file used:
            >

            > > " http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#vimrc
            >

            > > set nocompatible " use vim defaults
            >
            > > set scrolloff=3 " keep 3 lines when scrolling
            >
            > > set ai " set auto-indenting on for programming
            >

            > > set showcmd " display incomplete commands
            >
            > > set nobackup " do not keep a backup file
            >
            > > set number " show line numbers
            >
            > > set ruler " show the current row and column
            >

            > > set hlsearch " highlight searches
            >
            > > set incsearch " do incremental searching
            >
            > > set showmatch " jump to matches when entering regexp
            >
            > > set ignorecase " ignore case when searching
            >
            > > set smartcase " no ignorecase if Uppercase char present
            >

            > > set visualbell t_vb= " turn off error beep/flash
            >
            > > set novisualbell " turn off visual bell
            >

            > > set backspace=indent,eol,start " make that backspace key work the way it should
            >

            > > syntax on " turn syntax highlighting on by default
            >
            > > filetype on " detect type of file
            >
            > > filetype indent on " load indent file for specific file type
            >

            > > set t_RV= " http://bugs.debian.org/608242, http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/9770ea844cec3282
            >

            > I copied this .vimrc into %TEMP%\test_vimrc.vim and ran Vim using:
            >

            > vim -N --noplugin -u %TEMP%\test_vimrc.vim -U NONE -i NONE
            >

            > > After executed the vim normal command on fileinwin32 input file:
            >

            > > :%no<S-Tab>!Y6r gw}Vp<CR>
            >

            > > with the config above, in last paragraph of buffer, the word "BL" is
            >
            > > repeated on the next line and "connotation" is pushed on next line.
            >

            > I could not reproduce the problem. "BL" stays on the same line when I do
            >
            > it. I realized my terminal window was set to 25 characters in height, 80
            >
            > characters in width, so I resized to 80 high and 160 wide as you stated
            >
            > you used, and still I get the same result. "BL" stays on the same line,
            >
            > lines only get re-indented.
            >

            > > Also, I used this line windows command to start vim:
            >
            > > vim -u NONE -U NONE fileinwin32
            >
            > > In this case the paragraphs are not indented,
            >

            > Because 'autoindent' is not set.
            >

            > > but word "BL," is added,
            >
            > > after execution of vim normal command, and the word "BL," appears two times.
            >

            > When I do this, using vim -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE, I get no change in
            >
            > the text at all. Somehow, and I have no idea why, gw} for you is
            >
            > acting as if 'textwidth' or 'wrapmargin' is set to some value which puts
            >
            > "BL," past the boundary where Vim will wrap lines. As far as I can tell,
            >
            > unless you've accidentally omitted some of your config, you do not set
            >
            > these values.
            >

            > What does :scriptnames show after you launch Vim and your command fails?

            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\syntax.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\synload.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\syncolor.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\filetype.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\indent.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\markdown.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\html.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\javascript.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\vb.vim
            C:\Scripts\vim20130714_018\vim\runtime\syntax\css.vim

            I aslo did:

            :set
            --- Options ---
            autoindent hlsearch noloadplugins scroll=39 smartcase updatecount=0
            filetype=markdown ignorecase number scrolloff=3 syntax=markdown t_vb=
            helplang=fr incsearch ruler showmatch ttyfast
            backspace=indent,eol,start

            With the configs above, the normal command, does't work.

            But today I tested on another windows 7 desktop (vim 7.4a.023 compiled on machine where doesn't work) and on the new machine the normal command for "hanging indent" works: The options on this win7 are:

            :set
            --- Options ---
            autoindent helplang=fr ignorecase modified ruler scrolloff=3 showmatch ttyfast
            encoding=utf-8 hlsearch incsearch number scroll=34 shiftwidth=3 smartcase t_vb=
            backspace=indent,eol,start
            fileencoding=utf-8
            fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1

            I think that the problem is result of "fileencoding" or "utf8 encoding" options.

            I found another problem:

            1. I have 1 line in the buffer:
            s\x6fme\tt\x65xt\n\"Sa\155ba\u201d: \\\\net\\share

            2.After these commands

            c}<C-R>="<C-R>""<CR>

            the result in the buffer must change to ( on two lines):

            some text
            "Samba”: \\net\share

            But in my win32 vim version the char ” ( unicode \u201d ) after word Samba disappear.

            When setting set encoding=utf8, the commands works as expected, also the "hanging indent" commands.

            Could have vim initialize in windows like in linux encoding to utf8 by default?

            Thanks a lot !

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
              On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:51:24 PM UTC-5, Zulox4 wrote:

              > I think that the problem is result of "fileencoding" or "utf8 encoding" options.
              >
              > I found another problem:
              >
              > 1. I have 1 line in the buffer:
              > s\x6fme\tt\x65xt\n\"Sa\155ba\u201d: \\\\net\\share
              >
              > 2.After these commands
              >
              > c}<C-R>="<C-R>""<CR>
              >
              > the result in the buffer must change to ( on two lines):
              >
              > some text
              >
              > "Samba”: \\net\share
              >
              > But in my win32 vim version the char ” ( unicode \u201d ) after word Samba disappear.
              >
              > When setting set encoding=utf8, the commands works as expected, also the "hanging indent" commands.

              AHA! Now I know why I could not reproduce. I copy-pasted from my browser instead of actually downloading the file. When I copy-paste, Vim happily pasts the text, even if it cannot save it in the default Latin1 encoding. But when I load a file with utf-8 characters as Latin1 encoding, the fancy quotes in your input file show up as two characters instead of just one in Vim.

              Thus, the line ending in "BL," becomes just long enough that Vim wraps it when reformatting, since the line now has 2 extra characters.

              > Could have vim initialize in windows like in linux encoding to utf8 by default?

              Please see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

            • Zulox4
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:31:25 PM UTC+2, Ben Fritz wrote:
                > On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:51:24 PM UTC-5, Zulox4 wrote:
                >

                > > I think that the problem is result of "fileencoding" or "utf8 encoding" options.
                >

                > > I found another problem:
                >

                > > 1. I have 1 line in the buffer:
                >
                > > s\x6fme\tt\x65xt\n\"Sa\155ba\u201d: \\\\net\\share
                >

                > > 2.After these commands
                >

                > > c}<C-R>="<C-R>""<CR>
                >

                > > the result in the buffer must change to ( on two lines):
                >

                > > some text
                >

                > > "Samba”: \\net\share
                >

                > > But in my win32 vim version the char ” ( unicode \u201d ) after word Samba disappear.
                >

                > > When setting set encoding=utf8, the commands works as expected, also the "hanging indent" commands.
                >

                > AHA! Now I know why I could not reproduce. I copy-pasted from my browser instead of actually downloading the file. When I copy-paste, Vim happily pasts the text, even if it cannot save it in the default Latin1 encoding. But when I load a file with utf-8 characters as Latin1 encoding, the fancy quotes in your input file show up as two characters instead of just one in Vim.
                >

                > Thus, the line ending in "BL," becomes just long enough that Vim wraps it when reformatting, since the line now has 2 extra characters.
                >

                > > Could have vim initialize in windows like in linux encoding to utf8 by default?
                >

                > Please see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

                I would like to initialize in vim (code), like the linux version, not with "vimrc" file config.
                Thanks for helping !

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 18, 2013
                  On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:42:28 PM UTC-5, Zulox4 wrote:
                  > > Please see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode
                  >

                  > I would like to initialize in vim (code), like the linux version, not with "vimrc" file config.
                  >
                  > Thanks for helping !

                  Vim gets its default 'encoding' setting by reading your system environment. I have no idea on the details, but if I understand correctly, your Windows Locale is the determining factor on Windows. If you want to work with something different, you need to set it up in your .vimrc.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 11, 2014
                    Updates:

                    Comment #4 on issue 150 by chrisbr...@...: same normal cmds on
                    linux and windows
                    https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=150

                    I can't see a difference, starting from vim -u NONE -N --cmd ':set
                    autoindent' and 1 80 column wide window in Windows and 1 80 column wide
                    window in Linux. Therefore closing as invalid.

                    issue notifications to this address.