Re: Crash with spell suggestions, 7.4a.24

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
      On 15/07/2013 09:40, Mike Williams wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Been playing with reduced maxmem and found I can crash VIM when getting
      > spelling suggestions. The following will reproduce the crash under
      > Windows (line wrapped, and lots of fun getting the double quotes right):
      >
      > gvim -u NONE -U NONE -c "call feedkeys("":set" "maxmem=512"
      > "spell\<CR>iasd\<ESC>z=""")"
      >
      > The crash is in mf_write_block() checking the encrypt key
      > *mfp->mf_buffer->b_p_key when the pointer is NULL. Since the pointer is
      > expected to be valid then there is a path through the spell code that is
      > not setting up the buffer parameters right. Sorry no time at the moment
      > to dive any deeper.
      >
      > My Vim is built with (ie features is big):
      >
      > nmake -f make_mvc.mak GUI=yes WINVER=0x0501 CPUNR=pentium4
      > POSTSCRIPT=yes PYTHON=h:\python27 PYTHON_VER=27 DYNAMIC_PYTHON=yes
      >
      > Reproducible under unix as well.

      Scratched the itch - attached is patch to fix the crash. There may be
      other lurking gotchas with the minimal buffer initialisation created by
      the spell code.

      Mike
      --
      I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am now.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
        Mike Williams wrote:

        > On 15/07/2013 09:40, Mike Williams wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Been playing with reduced maxmem and found I can crash VIM when getting
        > > spelling suggestions. The following will reproduce the crash under
        > > Windows (line wrapped, and lots of fun getting the double quotes right):
        > >
        > > gvim -u NONE -U NONE -c "call feedkeys("":set" "maxmem=512"
        > > "spell\<CR>iasd\<ESC>z=""")"
        > >
        > > The crash is in mf_write_block() checking the encrypt key
        > > *mfp->mf_buffer->b_p_key when the pointer is NULL. Since the pointer is
        > > expected to be valid then there is a path through the spell code that is
        > > not setting up the buffer parameters right. Sorry no time at the moment
        > > to dive any deeper.
        > >
        > > My Vim is built with (ie features is big):
        > >
        > > nmake -f make_mvc.mak GUI=yes WINVER=0x0501 CPUNR=pentium4
        > > POSTSCRIPT=yes PYTHON=h:\python27 PYTHON_VER=27 DYNAMIC_PYTHON=yes
        > >
        > > Reproducible under unix as well.
        >
        > Scratched the itch - attached is patch to fix the crash. There may be
        > other lurking gotchas with the minimal buffer initialisation created by
        > the spell code.

        Thanks. I can reproduce the crash. I'll check out your fix and see if
        there are similar problems.

        --
        BEDEVERE: Why do you think she is a witch?
        SECOND VILLAGER: She turned me into a newt.