Re: [patch] if_lua support linking with LuaJIT on Unix

  • Hiroshi Shirosaki
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
      I've updated the patch since the following issue is reported.

      If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so, strange library name `liblua.so.` (end with .) is used in the case of dynamic loading. It occurs even if I build Vim without luajit patch.

      $ ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-luainterp=dynamic --with-lua-prefix=/usr/local
      $ make
      (snip)
      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
      -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
      -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" -I/usr/local/include -o objects/if_lua.o if_lua.c

      I added some fixes for the case where lua or luajit executable is not exist in the PATH.
      configure can fail or use default name with dynamic if a valid library name cannot be found when static or dynamic linking.
      I've added some document in Makefile.

      Here is updated patch.
      https://gist.github.com/shirosaki/5663617

    • Hiroshi Shirosaki
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
        On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:47:42 AM UTC+9, Hiroshi Shirosaki wrote:
        > I've updated the patch since the following issue is reported.
        >
        > If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so, strange library name `liblua.so.` (end with .) is used in the case of dynamic loading. It occurs even if I build Vim without luajit patch.
        >
        > $ ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-luainterp=dynamic --with-lua-prefix=/usr/local
        > $ make
        > (snip)
        > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
        > -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
        > -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" -I/usr/local/include -o objects/if_lua.o if_lua.c

        Hi Bram,

        As I said before current Vim 7.4a has two bugs of if_lua configure with dynamic loading:
        1) *.so is used as library name on Mac OS X whille *.dylib is correct on Mac OS X
        2) -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" is used (end with . ) If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so

        Should these bugs be fixed with Vim 7.4a?

        If we will create only bug fix patch without LuaJIT support, then the bug fix patch will be accepted before 7.4 release?

        Thank you.
        --
        Hiroshi Shirosaki

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
          Hiroshi Shirosaki wrote:

          > On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:47:42 AM UTC+9, Hiroshi Shirosaki wrote:
          > > I've updated the patch since the following issue is reported.
          > >
          > > If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so, strange library name `liblua.so.` (end with .) is used in the case of dynamic loading. It occurs even if I build Vim without luajit patch.
          > >
          > > $ ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-luainterp=dynamic --with-lua-prefix=/usr/local
          > > $ make
          > > (snip)
          > > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
          > > -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
          > > -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" -I/usr/local/include -o objects/if_lua.o if_lua.c
          > >

          > Hi Bram,
          >
          > As I said before current Vim 7.4a has two bugs of if_lua configure with dynamic loading:
          > 1) *.so is used as library name on Mac OS X whille *.dylib is correct on Mac OS X
          > 2) -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" is used (end with . ) If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so
          >
          > Should these bugs be fixed with Vim 7.4a?
          >
          > If we will create only bug fix patch without LuaJIT support, then the
          > bug fix patch will be accepted before 7.4 release?

          This is a big change and I can't properly test it myself.
          Can a few people confirm that this patch works well?

          It does look like adding luajit support is mixed with the rest. It
          might be better to separate them to reduce any risks.

          --
          Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the
          former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

        • lilydjwg
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
            On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:03:21PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Hiroshi Shirosaki wrote:
            >
            > > On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:47:42 AM UTC+9, Hiroshi Shirosaki wrote:
            > > > I've updated the patch since the following issue is reported.
            > > >
            > > > If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so, strange library name `liblua.so.` (end with .) is used in the case of dynamic loading. It occurs even if I build Vim without luajit patch.
            > > >
            > > > $ ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-luainterp=dynamic --with-lua-prefix=/usr/local
            > > > $ make
            > > > (snip)
            > > > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
            > > > -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
            > > > -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" -I/usr/local/include -o objects/if_lua.o if_lua.c
            > > >

            > > Hi Bram,
            > >
            > > As I said before current Vim 7.4a has two bugs of if_lua configure with dynamic loading:
            > > 1) *.so is used as library name on Mac OS X whille *.dylib is correct on Mac OS X
            > > 2) -DDYNAMIC_LUA_DLL=\"liblua.so.\" is used (end with . ) If lua executable is not exist in the PATH and configure cannot find liblua.so
            > >
            > > Should these bugs be fixed with Vim 7.4a?
            > >
            > > If we will create only bug fix patch without LuaJIT support, then the
            > > bug fix patch will be accepted before 7.4 release?
            >
            > This is a big change and I can't properly test it myself.
            > Can a few people confirm that this patch works well?

            The patch works well with my configure options, both with Lua and
            LuaJIT, default path, on Arch Linux 64bit.

            > It does look like adding luajit support is mixed with the rest. It
            > might be better to separate them to reduce any risks.

            lilydjwg

            Linux Vim Python 我的博客:
            http://lilydjwg.is-programmer.com/
            --