Re: Patch: Remove invalid keywords from syntax/vim.vim

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013

      On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi list,
      >>
      >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
      >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
      >> group, namely:
      >>
      >> DiffOrig
      >> Man
      >> Ren
      >> TOhtml
      >> XMLent
      >> XMLns
      >> bar
      >> browseset
      >> cmdname
      >> comment
      >> count
      >> dwim
      >> emenu*
      >> errormsg
      >> filename
      >> get
      >> let@
      >> locale
      >> mkdir
      >> mv
      >> nkf
      >> quote
      >> s@\n@\=\r"
      >> star
      >> synlist
      >> xterm
      >>
      >> Please check.
      >>
      >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
      >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
      >> Why not maintain them by hand?
      >>
      >> Best,
      >>

      > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.
      >
      > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles, rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than maintaining the lists by hand.

      I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus. And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.
      > --
      > (6)     Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
      >         purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
      > (7)     After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
      >         office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
      >         and other good books.
      > (8)     Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
      >         sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
      >         so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
      > (9)     Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
      >         in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
      >         shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
      >         his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
      > (10)    The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
      >         without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
      >         five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
      >         business permit it.
      >                 -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872
      >

      > --
      > --

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
        Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

        > On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck"
        > <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Hi list,
        > >>
        > >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
        > >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
        > >> group, namely:
        > >>
        > >> DiffOrig
        > >> Man
        > >> Ren
        > >> TOhtml
        > >> XMLent
        > >> XMLns
        > >> bar
        > >> browseset
        > >> cmdname
        > >> comment
        > >> count
        > >> dwim
        > >> emenu*
        > >> errormsg
        > >> filename
        > >> get
        > >> let@
        > >> locale
        > >> mkdir
        > >> mv
        > >> nkf
        > >> quote
        > >> s@\n@\=\r"
        > >> star
        > >> synlist
        > >> xterm
        > >>
        > >> Please check.
        > >>
        > >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is
        > perhaps
        > >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
        > >> Why not maintain them by hand?
        > >>
        > >> Best,
        > >>

        > > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are
        > commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help.
        > :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :|
        > (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :*
        > ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim
        > translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject
        > in the tags file.
        > >
        > > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
        > rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process
        > is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
        > maintaining the lists by hand.
        >
        > I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus.
        > And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

        I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
        http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
        intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
        help (:TOhtml, etc).

        As far as "why not maintain them by hand", I agree with Tony: very error
        prone. Its easier to remove incorrect ones by filtering. Plus, it'd be
        extremely tedious.

        Thank you for your feedback!
        Chip Campbell

      • glts
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
          On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Charles Campbell
          <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
          > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
          > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't intend
          > to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the help
          > (:TOhtml, etc).

          Thanks.

          It would have been helpful to see what you have changed. Is there a
          reason these entries are no longer in "vimCommand"?

          cgetb[uffer]
          cgete[xpr]
          lgetb[uffer]
          lgete[xpr]
          star[tinsert]
          start
          startg[replace]
          startr[eplace]

          I do not think it is wise to highlight :TOhtml and friends as
          vimCommand, be they in the runtime or not. Their status in Vim's eval
          language is clear: they are user commands, not built-in Ex commands.

          Best,
          David Bürgin

        • ZyX
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
            > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
            > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
            > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
            > help (:TOhtml, etc).

            I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
              ZyX wrote:

              > > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
              > > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
              > > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
              > > help (:TOhtml, etc).
              >
              > I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different
              > elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If
              > highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match
              > '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own
              > highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not
              > built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be
              > used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

              It makes sense to highlight standard user commands differently from Vim
              commands. At least use a different highlight name. It should be easy,
              as these commands start with an upper case letter.

              --
              Are leaders born or made? And if they're made, can we return them under
              warranty?

            • Charles E Campbell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                Hello!

                Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                Regards,
                C Campbell

              • glts
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013
                  On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Charles E Campbell
                  <drchip@...> wrote:
                  > Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                  > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                  Better now, thanks.

                  I see two remaining redundant entries, but they won't do any harm.

                  dig
                  dig[raph]
                  star
                  star[tinsert]