Re: Patch: Remove invalid keywords from syntax/vim.vim

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
      On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
      > Hi list,
      >
      > sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
      > the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
      > group, namely:
      >
      > DiffOrig
      > Man
      > Ren
      > TOhtml
      > XMLent
      > XMLns
      > bar
      > browseset
      > cmdname
      > comment
      > count
      > dwim
      > emenu*
      > errormsg
      > filename
      > get
      > let@
      > locale
      > mkdir
      > mv
      > nkf
      > quote
      > s@\n@\=\r"
      > star
      > synlist
      > xterm
      >
      > Please check.
      >
      > Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
      > not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
      > Why not maintain them by hand?
      >
      > Best,

      Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands
      defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and
      :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several
      commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@)
      respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these
      words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.

      These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
      rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is
      much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
      maintaining the lists by hand.

      (6) Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
      purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
      (7) After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
      office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
      and other good books.
      (8) Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
      sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
      so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
      (9) Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
      in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
      shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
      his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
      (10) The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
      without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
      five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
      business permit it.
      -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872

    • Nikolay Pavlov
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013

        On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi list,
        >>
        >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
        >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
        >> group, namely:
        >>
        >> DiffOrig
        >> Man
        >> Ren
        >> TOhtml
        >> XMLent
        >> XMLns
        >> bar
        >> browseset
        >> cmdname
        >> comment
        >> count
        >> dwim
        >> emenu*
        >> errormsg
        >> filename
        >> get
        >> let@
        >> locale
        >> mkdir
        >> mv
        >> nkf
        >> quote
        >> s@\n@\=\r"
        >> star
        >> synlist
        >> xterm
        >>
        >> Please check.
        >>
        >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
        >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
        >> Why not maintain them by hand?
        >>
        >> Best,
        >>

        > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.
        >
        > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles, rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than maintaining the lists by hand.

        I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus. And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > (6)     Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
        >         purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
        > (7)     After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
        >         office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
        >         and other good books.
        > (8)     Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
        >         sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
        >         so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
        > (9)     Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
        >         in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
        >         shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
        >         his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
        > (10)    The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
        >         without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
        >         five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
        >         business permit it.
        >                 -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872
        >

        > --
        > --

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
          Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

          > On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck"
          > <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi list,
          > >>
          > >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
          > >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
          > >> group, namely:
          > >>
          > >> DiffOrig
          > >> Man
          > >> Ren
          > >> TOhtml
          > >> XMLent
          > >> XMLns
          > >> bar
          > >> browseset
          > >> cmdname
          > >> comment
          > >> count
          > >> dwim
          > >> emenu*
          > >> errormsg
          > >> filename
          > >> get
          > >> let@
          > >> locale
          > >> mkdir
          > >> mv
          > >> nkf
          > >> quote
          > >> s@\n@\=\r"
          > >> star
          > >> synlist
          > >> xterm
          > >>
          > >> Please check.
          > >>
          > >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is
          > perhaps
          > >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
          > >> Why not maintain them by hand?
          > >>
          > >> Best,
          > >>

          > > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are
          > commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help.
          > :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :|
          > (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :*
          > ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim
          > translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject
          > in the tags file.
          > >
          > > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
          > rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process
          > is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
          > maintaining the lists by hand.
          >
          > I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus.
          > And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

          I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
          intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
          help (:TOhtml, etc).

          As far as "why not maintain them by hand", I agree with Tony: very error
          prone. Its easier to remove incorrect ones by filtering. Plus, it'd be
          extremely tedious.

          Thank you for your feedback!
          Chip Campbell

        • glts
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
            On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Charles Campbell
            <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
            > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
            > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't intend
            > to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the help
            > (:TOhtml, etc).

            Thanks.

            It would have been helpful to see what you have changed. Is there a
            reason these entries are no longer in "vimCommand"?

            cgetb[uffer]
            cgete[xpr]
            lgetb[uffer]
            lgete[xpr]
            star[tinsert]
            start
            startg[replace]
            startr[eplace]

            I do not think it is wise to highlight :TOhtml and friends as
            vimCommand, be they in the runtime or not. Their status in Vim's eval
            language is clear: they are user commands, not built-in Ex commands.

            Best,
            David Bürgin

          • ZyX
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
              > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
              > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
              > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
              > help (:TOhtml, etc).

              I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
                ZyX wrote:

                > > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
                > > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
                > > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
                > > help (:TOhtml, etc).
                >
                > I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different
                > elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If
                > highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match
                > '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own
                > highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not
                > built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be
                > used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

                It makes sense to highlight standard user commands differently from Vim
                commands. At least use a different highlight name. It should be easy,
                as these commands start with an upper case letter.

                --
                Are leaders born or made? And if they're made, can we return them under
                warranty?

              • Charles E Campbell
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Hello!

                  Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                  http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                  Regards,
                  C Campbell

                • glts
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013
                    On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Charles E Campbell
                    <drchip@...> wrote:
                    > Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                    > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                    Better now, thanks.

                    I see two remaining redundant entries, but they won't do any harm.

                    dig
                    dig[raph]
                    star
                    star[tinsert]