Patch: Remove invalid keywords from syntax/vim.vim

  • glts
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi list,

      sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
      the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
      group, namely:

      DiffOrig
      Man
      Ren
      TOhtml
      XMLent
      XMLns
      bar
      browseset
      cmdname
      comment
      count
      dwim
      emenu*
      errormsg
      filename
      get
      let@
      locale
      mkdir
      mv
      nkf
      quote
      s@\n@\=\r"
      star
      synlist
      xterm

      Please check.

      Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
      not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
      Why not maintain them by hand?

      Best,

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
        On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
        > Hi list,
        >
        > sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
        > the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
        > group, namely:
        >
        > DiffOrig
        > Man
        > Ren
        > TOhtml
        > XMLent
        > XMLns
        > bar
        > browseset
        > cmdname
        > comment
        > count
        > dwim
        > emenu*
        > errormsg
        > filename
        > get
        > let@
        > locale
        > mkdir
        > mv
        > nkf
        > quote
        > s@\n@\=\r"
        > star
        > synlist
        > xterm
        >
        > Please check.
        >
        > Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
        > not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
        > Why not maintain them by hand?
        >
        > Best,

        Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands
        defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and
        :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several
        commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@)
        respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these
        words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.

        These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
        rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is
        much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
        maintaining the lists by hand.

        (6) Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
        purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
        (7) After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
        office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
        and other good books.
        (8) Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
        sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
        so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
        (9) Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
        in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
        shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
        his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
        (10) The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
        without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
        five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
        business permit it.
        -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872

      • Nikolay Pavlov
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013

          On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi list,
          >>
          >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
          >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
          >> group, namely:
          >>
          >> DiffOrig
          >> Man
          >> Ren
          >> TOhtml
          >> XMLent
          >> XMLns
          >> bar
          >> browseset
          >> cmdname
          >> comment
          >> count
          >> dwim
          >> emenu*
          >> errormsg
          >> filename
          >> get
          >> let@
          >> locale
          >> mkdir
          >> mv
          >> nkf
          >> quote
          >> s@\n@\=\r"
          >> star
          >> synlist
          >> xterm
          >>
          >> Please check.
          >>
          >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is perhaps
          >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
          >> Why not maintain them by hand?
          >>
          >> Best,
          >>

          > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help. :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :| (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :* ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject in the tags file.
          >
          > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles, rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than maintaining the lists by hand.

          I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus. And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > (6)     Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
          >         purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
          > (7)     After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
          >         office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
          >         and other good books.
          > (8)     Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
          >         sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
          >         so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
          > (9)     Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
          >         in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
          >         shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
          >         his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
          > (10)    The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
          >         without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
          >         five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
          >         business permit it.
          >                 -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872
          >

          > --
          > --

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
            Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

            > On Jul 14, 2013 9:36 PM, "Tony Mechelynck"
            > <antoine.mechelynck@... <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > On 07/14/13 17:40, glts wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Hi list,
            > >>
            > >> sent this to the maintainer in May. Now resending an updated patch to
            > >> the list. I removed some mistaken keywords from the vimCommand syntax
            > >> group, namely:
            > >>
            > >> DiffOrig
            > >> Man
            > >> Ren
            > >> TOhtml
            > >> XMLent
            > >> XMLns
            > >> bar
            > >> browseset
            > >> cmdname
            > >> comment
            > >> count
            > >> dwim
            > >> emenu*
            > >> errormsg
            > >> filename
            > >> get
            > >> let@
            > >> locale
            > >> mkdir
            > >> mv
            > >> nkf
            > >> quote
            > >> s@\n@\=\r"
            > >> star
            > >> synlist
            > >> xterm
            > >>
            > >> Please check.
            > >>
            > >> Some of the false positives are pretty strange, so I'd say it is
            > perhaps
            > >> not the best idea to mine these keywords directly from the help files.
            > >> Why not maintain them by hand?
            > >>
            > >> Best,
            > >>

            > > Some of them, including as :DiffOrig, Man, :TOhtml, etc., are
            > commands defined in standard plugins and described in the help.
            > :quote, :bar and :star are the helptags for :" (Vim comment) :|
            > (concatenating several commands on one ex-command-line) and :*
            > ('compatible' equivalent of :@) respectively, due to the fact that Vim
            > translates " | and * to these words before looking up any help subject
            > in the tags file.
            > >
            > > These keywords are generated automatically from the Vim helpfiles,
            > rather than painstakingly searched for, because the automatic process
            > is much faster, and, though not perfect, much less error-prone than
            > maintaining the lists by hand.
            >
            > I would suggest to maintain a list of exceptions in this case thus.
            > And filter out everything that does not match '^\l\+$'.

            I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
            intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
            help (:TOhtml, etc).

            As far as "why not maintain them by hand", I agree with Tony: very error
            prone. Its easier to remove incorrect ones by filtering. Plus, it'd be
            extremely tedious.

            Thank you for your feedback!
            Chip Campbell

          • glts
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
              On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Charles Campbell
              <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
              > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
              > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't intend
              > to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the help
              > (:TOhtml, etc).

              Thanks.

              It would have been helpful to see what you have changed. Is there a
              reason these entries are no longer in "vimCommand"?

              cgetb[uffer]
              cgete[xpr]
              lgetb[uffer]
              lgete[xpr]
              star[tinsert]
              start
              startg[replace]
              startr[eplace]

              I do not think it is wise to highlight :TOhtml and friends as
              vimCommand, be they in the runtime or not. Their status in Vim's eval
              language is clear: they are user commands, not built-in Ex commands.

              Best,
              David Bürgin

            • ZyX
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
                > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
                > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
                > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
                > help (:TOhtml, etc).

                I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
                  ZyX wrote:

                  > > I've put syntax/vim.vim version 7.4a-1 up on my website:
                  > > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM . I don't
                  > > intend to remove the documented standard-plugin commands that are in the
                  > > help (:TOhtml, etc).
                  >
                  > I second the glts. TOhtml and lowercase commands are different
                  > elements in VimL and you can’t do anything with this. If
                  > highlighting them from scratch is essential commands that match
                  > '^\U\a*$' (with exception of :Next) should receive their own
                  > highlighting group indicating that they are standard commands, but not
                  > built-in ones. It is essential if highlight a script that is to be
                  > used with `vim -u NONE -S script.vim`.

                  It makes sense to highlight standard user commands differently from Vim
                  commands. At least use a different highlight name. It should be easy,
                  as these commands start with an upper case letter.

                  --
                  Are leaders born or made? And if they're made, can we return them under
                  warranty?

                • Charles E Campbell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                    Hello!

                    Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                    http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                    Regards,
                    C Campbell

                  • glts
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 28, 2013
                      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Charles E Campbell
                      <drchip@...> wrote:
                      > Please try syntax/vim.vim at my website:
                      > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNTAX_VIM

                      Better now, thanks.

                      I see two remaining redundant entries, but they won't do any harm.

                      dig
                      dig[raph]
                      star
                      star[tinsert]