Issue 149 in vim: Bug in history management with multiple file buffers

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 149 by gu...@...: Bug in history management with multiple
      file buffers

      What steps will reproduce the problem?

      Suppose I have 2 files A and B open in my vim using multiple file buffers
      1. I open file A
      2. I make a change in A
      3. I save the change made to file A
      4. Then I open the file buffer for B using bp.
      5. Then if I go to the terminal by pressing Ctrl+Z
      6. I go back to my file B by pressing fg in the terminal.
      7. Then afterwards I go back to the buffer associated with file A
      8. If I do undo the history of file A is not there.

      When I do undo I would want the history of file A to be still there

      vim 7.3 Patches Included: 1-763, 765-831
      OpenSuse 12.3

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2013
        Comment #1 on issue 149 by fritzoph...@...: Bug in history management
        with multiple file buffers

        This is expected behavior. By default Vim discards undo history when you
        abandon a buffer. You have a few options:

        1. Set the 'hidden' option so Vim doesn't abandon the buffer.
        2. Set the 'undofile' option so Vim saves the undo information in a file
        (also lets you quit Vim and relaunch Vim and keep the undo info).
        3. Open a new window or tab for file B instead of switching buffers in the
        same window.

        issue notifications to this address.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30 1:39 PM
          Updates: