Re: Vim didn't load my user scripts after upgraded to 7.4a from 7.3.1311

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
      On 10/07/13 04:45, Hienning Lueng wrote:
      > It's wired. Did we make any big change between these revisions?
      >
      > My system: Windows 7 with sp1. Before my upgrade, my Vim installed to D:\Apps\Vim with following directory structure:
      >
      > D:\Apps\Vim
      > vim73\ vim 7.3.1311
      > vimfiles\ my plugins/colors, etc.
      > _vimrc
      >
      > everything works well. But after my upgrade, vim failed to load every scripts in vimfiles, neither plugin nor colors, everything in it. I dont's understand for why? I thought that should rename vim73 to vim74, as what I've done for upgrade vim 7.2 to 7.3, but it didn't works. Now I open my gVim.exe, it shows me just like a fresh install: no customization, default color scheme, etc.
      >
      > Is it a bug or some sort of new features?

      Your user scripts should not have been in vim73 to begin with. That
      directory tree (and now vim74a) is ONLY for scripts distributed together
      with Vim, and which you must NEVER change, because any update may, and a
      version upgrade will, silently make all your changes disappear.

      Single-user customizations should be (on Unix) in ~/.vim/ (and
      ~/.vim/after/) and (on Windows) in ~/vimfiles/ (and ~/vimfiles/after/),
      where ~ (in Vim and, on Unix, even outside Vim) is shorthand for $HOME

      Site-wide changes should be (on all platforms) in $VIM/vimfiles/ (and
      $VIM/vimfiles/after/). $VIM doesn't change between Vim versions, it is
      usually the parent of $VIMRUNTIME (i.e., of vim72, then vim73, then
      vim74a, etc.). In your case $VIM = D:/Apps/Vim (and, on Windows, Vim
      ought to be able to find it by removing the vim74a element from the path
      from which it was loaded, so no need to set $VIM yourself — or
      $VIMRUNTIME for that matter). (On Unix, Vim is usually compiled with a
      "fallback for $VIM" path, and that's what's usually used, so no need to
      set $VIM and $VIMRUNTIME either.)

      You should not have to rename vim73 to vim74a. Just leave vim73 in place
      (or remove it with all its contents when you're satisfied that you won't
      $VIMRUNTIME subfolder, namely $VIM/vim74a/.

      Hm, I don't know what happened to Steve Hall: the latest "Vim without
      Cream" distribution for Windows seems to be a 7.3.829 dated 20 February.

      In the olden days in England, you could be hung for stealing a sheep or
      a loaf of bread. However, if a sheep stole a loaf of bread and gave it
      to you, you would only be tried for receiving, a crime punishable by
      forty lashes with the cat or the dog, whichever was handy. If you
      stole a dog and were caught, you were punished with twelve rabbit
      punches, although it was hard to find rabbits big enough or strong
      enough to punch you.
      -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

    • Hienning Lueng
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
        On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:19:40 PM UTC+8, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > Your user scripts should not have been in vim73 to begin with. That
        >
        > directory tree (and now vim74a) is ONLY for scripts distributed together
        >
        > with Vim, and which you must NEVER change, because any update may, and a
        >
        > version upgrade will, silently make all your changes disappear.

        Thanks for your advice. I don't install vim with the official installer,
        I built it myself. All vim's default runtime files remain unchanged,
        and all placed in my vim73 directory.

        > Single-user customizations should be (on Unix) in ~/.vim/ (and
        >
        > ~/.vim/after/) and (on Windows) in ~/vimfiles/ (and ~/vimfiles/after/),
        >
        > where ~ (in Vim and, on Unix, even outside Vim) is shorthand for $HOME
        >

        > Site-wide changes should be (on all platforms) in $VIM/vimfiles/ (and
        >
        > $VIM/vimfiles/after/). $VIM doesn't change between Vim versions, it is
        >
        > usually the parent of $VIMRUNTIME (i.e., of vim72, then vim73, then
        >
        > vim74a, etc.). In your case $VIM = D:/Apps/Vim (and, on Windows, Vim
        >
        > ought to be able to find it by removing the vim74a element from the path
        >
        > from which it was loaded, so no need to set $VIM yourself — or
        >
        > $VIMRUNTIME for that matter). (On Unix, Vim is usually compiled with a
        >
        > "fallback for $VIM" path, and that's what's usually used, so no need to
        >
        > set $VIM and $VIMRUNTIME either.)
        >

        > You should not have to rename vim73 to vim74a. Just leave vim73 in place
        >
        > (or remove it with all its contents when you're satisfied that you won't

        > $VIMRUNTIME subfolder, namely $VIM/vim74a/.

        I'm not going to go back to vim73, so I renamed it to vim74a and it works. Thank you, and Lane East.