k moves to incorrect column after g$

  • Dimitar DIMITROV
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hi list,

      1. vim -nNX -u NONE
      2. :se ve=all
      3. 3otest<esc>
      4. g$

      Then I expect k to move me up in the same column but it goes at $ in the previous line.

      Note: in step 4 if I move to g$ using lllll.... then k moves the cursor correctly

      Cheers

      PS:
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6, compiled Jul  8 2013 13:51:44)
      Included patches: 1-2

      Dimitar

      ---
      GPG Key: 2048R/160C6FA8 2012-10-11 Dimitar Dimitrov (kurkale6ka) <mitkofr@...>

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        On Tue, July 9, 2013 15:15, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
        > Hi list,
        >
        > 1. vim -nNX -u NONE
        > 2. :se ve=all
        > 3. 3otest<esc>
        > 4. g$
        >
        > Then I expect k to move me up in the same column but it goes at $ in the
        > previous line.
        >
        > Note: in step 4 if I move to g$ using lllll.... then k moves the cursor
        > correctly
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > PS:
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6, compiled Jul  8 2013 13:51:44)
        > Included patches: 1-2

        I see. This patch fixes it.

        regards,
        Christian

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
          Dimitar Dimitrov wrote:

          > Hi list,
          >
          > 1. vim -nNX -u NONE
          > 2. :se ve=all
          > 3. 3otest<esc>
          > 4. g$
          >
          > Then I expect k to move me up in the same column but it goes at $ in
          > the previous line.
          >
          > Note: in step 4 if I move to g$ using lllll.... then k moves the
          > cursor correctly
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > PS:
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6, compiled Jul  8 2013 13:51:44)
          > Included patches: 1-2

          It only works that way after:
          :set nowrap

          It is documented, but it's not really what one expects.

          --
          ARTHUR: CHARGE!
          [The mighty ARMY charges. Thundering noise of feet. Clatter of coconuts.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > On Tue, July 9, 2013 15:15, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
            > > Hi list,
            > >
            > > 1. vim -nNX -u NONE
            > > 2. :se ve=all
            > > 3. 3otest<esc>
            > > 4. g$
            > >
            > > Then I expect k to move me up in the same column but it goes at $ in the
            > > previous line.
            > >
            > > Note: in step 4 if I move to g$ using lllll.... then k moves the cursor
            > > correctly
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > PS:
            > > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6, compiled Jul  8 2013 13:51:44)
            > > Included patches: 1-2
            >
            > I see. This patch fixes it.

            Thanks. I suppose we also need to add a remark at "g$" about virtual
            editing mode.

            Oh wait, this doesn't work, because w_virtcol is not valid. We need the
            same code as 20 lines down. I'll send out a patch with that. Please
            check that this doesn't break in some other situation.

            --
            INSPECTOR END OF FILM: Move along. There's nothing to see! Keep moving!
            [Suddenly he notices the cameras.]